Black melamine 4x8?

Anyone know of a company in the Charlotte area that sells 3/4" black melamine 4x8 sheets? I'm have a tough time finding anyone that sells to individuals or that doesn't require the opening of a sales account. Thx!

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Not sure of your intended use, but if it’s for a workbench top or something, I had better luck buying a sheet of black Formica, (Amazon and Home Depot both had free delivery if I recall), and just laminated to a 2 sheet lamination of plywood in 1 case, and MDF in another - both are holding up great, and hold edge banding better than the particleboard core of melamine would I expect, plus the extra rigidity of being able to 2- ply the substrate. Good luck!

Johnathon

J Flip
User
Wurth has had black melamine on ply and MDF cores on their website. But I can't get anyone there to answer or return a phone call. I don't know if they're exclusively catering to large accounts now or something else.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Thanks all. I was tacking toward laminate over 3 sheets of ply, but was wondering about the rolling process, etc.
Pretty easy/ straight forward. Just use contact cement and a J-roller. It smells REALLY strong, so open your doors, and I just use cheap/ throw-away brushes and a tray liner for convenience. Cut the laminate oversize to give yourself some room, and trim after the fact w/ a flush/trim router bit.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
This reminds me that I have a large sheet of Formica in the attic that I had intended to use on my shop countertop. I ended up finding a kitchen countertop on sale at Home Depot because the length had been miscut. There's gotta be some use for that Formica.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Wurth has had black melamine on ply and MDF cores on their website. But I can't get anyone there to answer or return a phone call. I don't know if they're exclusively catering to large accounts now or something else.
I’ve bought the melamine ply from Wurth in the past but it has been several years. I used the material for my table saw outfeed table and it still looks new and straight 13+ years later.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’ve noticed a few posts that have referenced Wurth ceasing sales to small accounts as of 8/2021 (per creasman, post 7).

Disappointing since they have access to a lot of stock!

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Yeah, don't waste time with Wurth, they quit selling to individuals or small companies. I made the counter tops in my woodshop with black laminate on MDF. If I had to do it over again I would use white laminate. The black actually gets dirty looking much faster than a lighter color. Especially next to the sink I have on one of the counters.
Now I did make my cabinets out of Melamine. I got a whole pallet from A&M Supply in Charlotte. I ordered dark gray but I am sure they could get black. Trouble would be they might only sell by the pallet which was extremely heavy. You could call and see if it is something they have in stock and might sell less.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
When I was building cabinets, I could order laminate cheaper thru HD, than directly from local distributor, with whom I had an account. Call HD, order, and then go over and pick up. Last time I ordered, HD had changed to a vendor in NJ, and UPS brought it to the store (rolled up.)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors