Bizarre Sketchup Drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Dave and others, how does someone make a Sketchup drawing without using groups? Plus, what kind of element is "Golf Ball Collection" on the top piece?

Golf Ball Collection Rack

bot_lt.jpg

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Mike, I never use groups either. Only components. That being said, I do understand your question. That's a poorly executed model. All the faces are inside out, the materials are applied incorrectly... It could be that the author never used groups or components or perhaps they did but exploded them all before uploading the model to the warehouse.

As for the text, it's 3D text but it wasn't extruded so it's really only 2D text. Either way, it is created with the 3D Text tool. I used that tool to put the numbers on the tiles for this Shut The box game.

And for a Christmas card I made a couple of years ago.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Dave, the good thing about you is you know what I meant - not what I said! Of course I meant Components. I'll play with the text a little. Thanks!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to Dave's comments. He's my SU mentor so I had to do a little playing around; my nickname for him is "Sherlock".

What a trashy model whose dimensions are funky. If you want to make a similar item start from scratch, draw in situ, and use components.

Golf-Box.png

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Good on you, Dr. Watson. ;)

Part of the problem with the dimensions is that the author use an architectural template with precision set to 1/16 in. I can cut closer with a chainsaw! Just kidding but if you're drawing woodworking type projects and working in fractional units you should work with precision set to 1/64" and also turn off Length Snapping.

It would be fairly simple to redraw that model correctly so that it could be used as a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS