Big machine differences question…..

JayMan72

Jay
User
Ok folks I am in need of some guidance.

I am in the early stages of planing for what will be my dream shop. My plan is to upgrade all of my current tools to heavier duty machines.

A 20” helical head planer is going to be one of said tools.

Now I know that a lot of these bigger tools are made in the same factory and they are just labeled differently based on the specific client.

The specs all seem to be almost identical and I’m sure there are some subtle differences but the price swing, IMHO, is ridiculous.

I’m sure it can’t be just the name or paint color but when going over specs most everything seems to match up.
I’m hoping that someone with more knowledge/experience can explain to me why is there such a HUGE difference in the price?

Thank you in advance.

Machines in question if it helps:
Grizzly - 20" 5 HP Helical Cutterhead Planer at Grizzly.com
Baileigh - https://baileigh.com/woodworking/planers/planers/industrial-planer-ip-208
Southbend - 20" Planer with Helical Cutterhead at Grizzly.com
Shop Fox - 20" Planer with Built in Mobile Base and Helical Cutterhead at Grizzly.com
Shop Fox - 20" 5 HP Planer with Helical Cutterhead at Grizzly.com
Powermatic - Powermatic - 20" Planer - 5 HP 1 Ph 230V - Helical Cutterhead - 209HH

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Jay, I have the Grizzly 15" planer w/ helical head and have been very satisfied. I've had it 6 or 7 years so I don't know if their quality has changed in those years, and don't know for sure if the same quality applies to the 20"

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
Now I know that a lot of these bigger tools are made in the same factory and they are just labeled differently based on the specific client.

The specs all seem to be almost identical and I’m sure there are some subtle differences but the price swing, IMHO, is ridiculous.
The solution is simple. Pick the cheapest machine on your list and go with that.

If it was my shop, I'd buy a Jet 20" Helical. I love Jet machines - I have 5. They're like off-broadway Powermatics.

Last edited:

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
I think listing tools for a Dream Shop is fun. I'd go with Jet for pretty much everything on the floor, except for a table saw. For that, I'd go with Sawstop. I love what they do with hot dogs.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS