bench plane troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
ok, so i'm fairly new to woodworking, so this maybe a really dumb question, but i was hand planing a board the other day and i first planed across the grain (across the width) and got it pretty flat, and then when i planed it across the length for some reason it always ended up tapering down at the far end... like the part of the board from where i started the stroke was an 1 and 1/8 and the far end was slightly under an inch... what am i doing wrong? if i turn the board around the plane from the opposite end i get tear out... i'm using a not so great plane a "groz" #4, but i tuned it up fairly well i think... the iron is pretty sharp and all that... but i just don't know how this is happening... thanks... jonny

Deacon Shuster

New User
Doug Shuster
Johnny,

You may be putting too much pressure on the front knob of the plane at the end of the stroke. As you plane you have to shift the downward force as you plane. Start the pass with pressure on the front knob, then apply even pressure while the body of the plane is over the piece, then apply pressure to the back/handle of the plane as you finish the cut. As the plane comes off the end of the workpiece try to control it from either lifting up (causing the opposite of what is happening now) or dropping down (which may be what's causing the problem now).

I hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get it corrected in no time with a small amount of practice.

Doug "The Deacon"

nelsone

New User
Ed
Sounds like Doug gave you some good advice. You may want to scribe a line around the board to have a reference to plane to.

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I agree with all of the above. A reference line can help a lot in hand tool work, especially until you get really comfortable with the technique as Doug has described it. It helps even after that.

More things that will help:

Stabilize your work so you don't have to worry about it, and make sure any hold downs or bench dogs are giving you plenty of clearance, especially at the end of the stroke. You should be able to follow through a little off the board and if something is in your way you will unconsciously screw up your technique if you are worried about bonking a clamp or screw or something.

Really do make sure the plane is as sharp as you can get it and try to get thin shavings as you are able. Scribble a little wax on the bottom of the plane from a beeswax block or a candle if you don't have any. Makes a lot of difference. These things will make it so you don't have to use so much force. Planing is not effortless but you shouldn't have to strain.

Good luck but you'll get it. It just takes a little practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS