Bandsaw and Turning

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Having started turning last year, I found myself doing a lot of spindle work at first, then adding in bowls and boxes, with a few platters and large plates. Not wanting to spend my time and effort turning sharp corners into sawdust, I would knock the corners off larger spindle blanks on the table saw. A jig saw made short work of the corners on platters and plates. I roughed out the blanks for bowls with a chainsaw - not perfect, but no big corners to deal with either. All the while, on the other side of the shop, parked behind a drill press, was a perfectly functional, Rikon 10-325, 14" bandsaw, that had seen very little service since I bought it new, seven years ago. The minor challenge was finding a place for it where it could be accessible. After an afternoon of moving motorcycles, shop tools, and a pile of hardwood. The bandsaw was ready to be set up again.

After installing a new drive belt, some sanding and polishing on the top, and a tune up, the Rikon bandsaw was back in action. Its WoodSlicer blade resawing perfect slices of 1/8" Ash veneer with ease. After that, I spend the afternoon turning square bowl blanks into cylinders.

After watching many Richard Raffan videos on YouTube, I learned just how valuable a bandsaw could be for processing timber for the lathe. The bandsaw can be used very efficiently to remove parts of a turning blank that has splits and other undesirable defects or features that you don't want in your finished product without having to make those corrections while turning on the lathe. I think that any curriculum for teaching woodturning should include some insights into the advantage of integrating a bandsaw in the woodturning shop.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
If cutting green wood, get a can of spray Pam and put some on a shop towel then manually turn the blade in reverse with the Pam laden towel on either side. It really helps keep the pitch from building up on the blade.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
my process

greenwood1.jpg greenwood2.jpg greenwood3.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I wanted to exemplify Pete's point about the band saw and bowl turning. The down side is that there's a lot of hollowed out wood to dispose of when cutting out some slugs to rough turn turn bowl blanks for drying.
I rarely take photos of the rough processing. I took those pictures in May of 2005 when I had a lot more stamina.
I've still got a few roughed out and dried blanks from that event.
What I showed was the way a lot of people prepare bowl stock from a log.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I'm pretty much practicing what I was first taught by Liam O'Neill back in the mid 90s.
Liam taught for cutting out slugs make a stack of plywood circles in half inch increments. Various holes were bored in the circles so the circle could be screwed into the bark where convenient. The blade was kept about 1/4" away from the circle so it wouldn't be damaged.

An aside: On one of his demos, we didn't have any circles to follow. He cut out a darn near perfect circular slug to turn by eye.

Dovetail

Rich
Senior User
I have a sled to cut circles on the band saw. It has a pin that can be adjusted for the radius of circle wanted. It has a stop so the sled feed in until the pin is lined up with the blade.
drill a hole in the work piece where you want the center of the blank, set on the sled, and feed into the blade until the stop is reached, then rotate the blank to cut a circle.
Sounds more complicated that it is, but it gove super controlled cuts.

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
I have a sled to cut circles on the band saw. It has a pin that can be adjusted for the radius of circle wanted. It has a stop so the sled feed in until the pin is lined up with the blade.
drill a hole in the work piece where you want the center of the blank, set on the sled, and feed into the blade until the stop is reached, then rotate the blank to cut a circle.
Sounds more complicated that it is, but it gove super controlled cuts.

Hi, Rich.

Sounds interesting. Do you have a photo that you could post?

Thanks!

Dovetail

Rich
Senior User
Here are some drawings that show the basic idea. You can dimension it to fit your saw table and the size blanks you want to cut.
Built it out of shop scraps. Let me know if it makes sense.

ortho k.jpg
iso.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors