Bad Band Saw Blade

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
Is there such a thing?

I had a Timberwolf, 116" x 3/4" x 3 TPI on my Jet band saw. It had problems right out of the box:

• Seemed to be unbalanced. Machine vibrated a lot more than usual.
  • Would not track straight. Ever.
  • Didn't cut well. Rough cutting.
I've used many TW blades, and they're consistently good, but this was a pain from day one. I wouldn't rule out some faux pas, that I promptly forgot.

A fresh Starret 3/4 x 4TPI is MUCH better.

Thoughts? Derisive laughter?

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I've gotten a bad blade before. Didn't want to track right. You could get it set and everything appeared fine but as soon as I started cutting with it the blade started walking off the wheel. I replaced it pretty quickly and it definitely wasn't the saw's fault. It's been a few years so I don't remember the brand but I do remember it was a rather low TPI so maybe that could be a contributing factor?

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Chaz, yes you can receive a bad bandsaw blade, it was more than likely a poorly executed weld was the issue with the blade..

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Chaz, yes you can receive a bad bandsaw blade, it was more than likely a poorly executed weld was the issue with the blade..
I go with the bad weld. If the blade is not welded in a perfectly straight line, every time it rolls over the upper wheel it will reseat itself at that tiny off angle. This off angle (crooked weld) can be imperceptible to the human eye. It doesn't take many rolls over the wheel to creep the blade off track.

This is a quality control issue at the factory. If it's worth the effort I would send back the defective blade and ask for a free replacement and free shipping both ways.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
I had issues with new Timberwolf same size as yours. Called them with the problem and they sent a new blade which was good.
Call them and describe your issues. They take customers complaints seriously.

Echd

C
User
I had a woodslicer that was awful just like that. It also broke very quickly. The replacement is very good, so your experience is not unique. Bad blades happen.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS