Axiom AR8 2’x4’ As First CNC

TitanFlyer

New User
TitanFlyer
Hey there,

First I want to say I am trying to follow the age old advice of “buy your second one first”.

First post here, and wanted to get some advice from people in the area. I am purchasing an Axiom AR8 Basic (meaning exact same as the pro model, difference being it has a Bosch router rather than a 3hp spindle) from a local guy. I have been looking at OneFinity and Shapeoko and doing the research, but then this popped up as an opportunity. I figured if nothing else, I could sell it again if it didn’t work out for me, but with the deal I got, I think I will give it a shot over the other consumer type CNC machines that include assembly and all that. I am paying far less than I would if I ordered a new OneFinity Elite machine.

So, I have a Civil Engineering degree and used CAD a lot in that world, but it’s been a while. I know the software is the hard part, and wondering if there is any advice on which one is easier to get educated on. I am not planning on making any 3D topographical maps or anything, I literally want to learn a new hobby and maybe make some gifts for people. I have always wanted to work more with wood, but not in the deck building or projects with “lumber”, so this might be something that’s fun to play with.

I pick it up this evening (if all the stuff aligns) so I am looking for anyone that thinks I am nuts doing this. Its a pretty beefy machine and hoping it works out for me, but if I am walking into an obvious mistake, would like to hear it now.

Thanks. Not sure if I need to put my flame suit on, but ready for it anyway.

James

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I have had an Axiom 2' x 3' for about 6 years and love it. It is rock solid and has excellent accuracy and repeatability. I would have gotten a larger one, but my small shop constrained the selection. I have the spindle which is water cooled and revs to 24k rpm - rarely run it that fast, but nice to have. The Bosch should be just fine.

The only thing I dont like is the Richauto controller. It works as billed, but is a bit cumbersome to get to some of the functions. The worst part is you are limited to 6 characters for naming of the cut files. So you have to carefully choose names to keep part and bit straight. Maybe they have changed that(?)

Good luck - happy to help if you have questions.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Good choice of machine...I would look into Vectric V-carve Pro for design software, as it has no machine size limitation and is very easy to learn...lots of included videos and ready to cut images, and a very helpful users forum online.

TitanFlyer

New User
TitanFlyer
Good choice of machine...I would look into Vectric V-carve Pro for design software, as it has no machine size limitation and is very easy to learn...lots of included videos and ready to cut images, and a very helpful users forum online.
I am getting the copy of VCarve Pro with the purchase, so good to know. I have to pay a transfer fee of 50 dollars, but much better than 700 bucks it seems to be selling for.

Thanks for the advice.

TitanFlyer

New User
TitanFlyer
I have had an Axiom 2' x 3' for about 6 years and love it. It is rock solid and has excellent accuracy and repeatability. I would have gotten a larger one, but my small shop constrained the selection. I have the spindle which is water cooled and revs to 24k rpm - rarely run it that fast, but nice to have. The Bosch should be just fine.

The only thing I dont like is the Richauto controller. It works as billed, but is a bit cumbersome to get to some of the functions. The worst part is you are limited to 6 characters for naming of the cut files. So you have to carefully choose names to keep part and bit straight. Maybe they have changed that(?)

Good luck - happy to help if you have questions.
I “eventually” want to build a bit more complicated version of a cigar box guitar that looks like famous guitars in history… Telecaster, Flying V, Explorer etc etc. It seems like it would be WAY easier on this than trying to do it with hand and power tools. I wouldn’t be building the neck as that is a crazy amount of work and experience needed, so just the body.
This is a long video that shows what I am looking to do, but again, a simpler version.
1703006537110.png

Echd

C
User
V carve Pro is excellent software. You will have no issues with it, it is fairly simple and intuitive.

I think that particular type of machine doesn't make a ton of sense in the MSRP it sells for in a world where onefinity and shapeoko offer great prosumer machines much less expensively (and much larger machines are available around 10k+ or so) but it sounds like you got a really good deal. Wood is not really all that demanding anyway. I can run my 3HP spindle hard and I barely see more than a few amps being drawn, and I'm talking 3" cutter planing hardwood hard. There are some safety concerns to bear in mind about the use of routers in a cnc environment (such as durability of cords not made for continuous motion and running for extended periods) but generally those aren't problems.

Take good care to ensure you have good clamps and workholding solutions. Other than that, sky's the limit.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I dove in head first with my machine knowing what I wanted to achieve (cut 4x8 sheets of plywood when I wanted) long term. I was not, however brand new at the CNC game having programmed machining centers etc in the past. My machine is a Laguna Swift 4x8 with vacuum table. I picked it up for a song from a bank repo company. I run Vectric Aspire on mine and while it is great software, its not design software, Id call it artsy. And for Artsy type things it works amazing. For any more technical things I have access to Creo (Pro/E) and the sky is the limit there. I read the files in DXF format (2D) or STEP (3D). The machine youre getting should work fine for hobbyist type useage. I guess you could start with Vcarve ( a scaled down version of Aspire) and ramp up from there as you go. Let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck and have fun with it!.

Echd

C
User
Fusion 360 is a good technical solution as well and is free to the hobbyist. Chris is correct that vcarve is much more so for artsy projects than technically dimensioned ones.

You'll find at some point that cutting aluminum, brass, or engineered plastics may be desirable. I bet your machine is up to it too, so don't be limited to just wood.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I am getting the copy of VCarve Pro with the purchase, so good to know. I have to pay a transfer fee of 50 dollars, but much better than 700 bucks it seems to be selling for.

Thanks for the advice.
My one bit of advice would be to confirm in advance the software is still transferable as it’s a one-time transfer thing.

“The original purchaser of the software licence can transfer it once, but subsequent owners cannot.”
Google Vectric license transfer policy

-Mark

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
VCarve pro is even less "design software" than Aspire - it's fine to set up the job, cut paths, simple text, simple cutouts and pockets, etc.
For real design you'll need to get one of the CAD packages out there, either freeware or paid.

TitanFlyer

New User
TitanFlyer
Yep, it’s the original owner and they have been in touch.. setting up the transfer now. If I have to buy it I will, but it was included in the purchase. Now, it is an older version.. 10 something I think.

TitanFlyer

New User
TitanFlyer
IMG_0012.png
Well, it’s in my garage. Was super lucky and found a local guy with a big metal interstate trailer, and a small tractor with forks. He moved it for me for 100 bucks, from the former owner to my house and in the garage. I of course tipped the heck out of him. So now the fear starts.. I hope its not one of those hobbies that are taking up a lot of my garage already… lol.

Last edited:

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Yep, it’s the original owner and they have been in touch.. setting up the transfer now. If I have to buy it I will, but it was included in the purchase. Now, it is an older version.. 10 something I think.
Upgrades are very affordable, and worth it. I got their higher end version, Vectric Aspire, with my CNC and transferred for $50, was an easy process.

Echd

C
User
I believe the current version added REST machining, which you could sort of implement in a hacky way before, but is pretty much required for time efficient 3d carving with high detail. Definitely worth it, although it's also worth trying different approaches with f360 for jobs like that to see what works best.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
The Bosch router should fine ... I have been using a Makita router on my CNC for over 20 years. If you find it has too much run out. Better collets are available.

If you don't already have ... get a dust collector! You are going to make a LOT of dust.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS