Anyone have or use the Trend Air Shield Pro? Comments? Reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Saw that Rockler has on sale the Trend Air Shield Pro for $339. I asked several questions on the site and got some decent answers and some stupid answers! I was wondering about the weight, noise level, if the filters could we cleaned/vacuumed/washed, how long the filters last, etc. At $55 for a pair of replacement filters, that seems quite steep to me. Now if the original filters last 5 years, then maybe that's not such a bad deal. When I saw the sale, it reminded me of how much I dislike the sweaty face issues when turning under a mask. I'm currently using the Elipse P100 mask that Highland woodworking sells (link http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/elipse-p100-dust-mask.aspx ). I'm generally happy with the performance of the mask, but darn that contact surface makes me sweat, even in an air controlled shop!

Maybe Coleman will pipe in and comment if Klingspor will match Rockler's price, or maybe the DQ status will apply. The other thought was to wait for the Extravaganza. I don't recall what these were selling for last year, but seems to me it was around the same price.

Looking for any reviews, comments, thoughts, etc.
Thanks!
Michael

DanR

New User
Dan
You can borrow mine. It is great. I have the original filters in there, I do vacuum them. Not sure if it is the right thing to do, but I do it. I would ask Mark on Monday night if he wants to sell his.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll bring mine with me when we meet today. You can borrow it for a while and see if you like it. I hardly ever have used it. Probably needs charged.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks Dan! and Ken!!!!! Hate to spend that kind of money, but if it makes turning that much more enjoyable, I just might have to!

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I'd love to be able to get one of these as well but the price, wow! I think these would be real nice especially since I do not have dust collection yet. Let me know how you like it Mike if you get your hands on one.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks Charlie! Glad you popped in. I was thinking about what you do as I don't recall you having a mask off any kind. How do you capture sanding dust? I know you have the two vacuum ports near your lathe. Is that enough? I've been contemplating putting a hole in my wall and eliminating the big filter on my DC. how much will that improve pickup? Will that be enough to eliminate the need for a mask? That would be the ideal situation!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Michael,
For several years I had a HF 2 HP blower with two 4" dust pickups. One on front of lathe and one behind.
These pickups can be positioned anywhere along the lathe.
I had a foot operated slide gate that I could switch to which ever pickup I wanted.
When sanding in forward direction the front pickup captures the dust.
When sanding in reverse the the rear pickup captures the dust. I have zero dust problems.
A couple years ago I was given a HF blower so I now have a dedicated blower for each dust pickup.
I no longer have to switch from front to back.
As you know, all my dust collection is under my shop.

I have been to your shop. I would get the HF blower, toss the bag, etc. and duct it out through the wall and dedicate it to the lathe only.

If you would like details on my adjustable pickups I can send you photos or you can stop by the shop.

It's time for a visit anyhow. Lol

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Charlie, that would be great if you could send me some details of your adjustable pickups. At the moment, I clamp one of the flexible pipes near the back of the chuck. That helps, but it's not the final solution.
Thanks!
BTW, you're right, it's time for another visit. With my work schedule, I'll have to stick to the weekends. I'm available tomorrow (Sunday) and then next weekend I'm on-call for work, so that's out.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
What time would you like to come over tomorrow? That way you can take your own pictures. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS