Access to a Wide belt sander in Raleigh??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
A friend in Raleigh needs access to a wide belt sander - maybe 30-36" capacity. He has a natural edge slab he is making into a coffee table and wants it flattened. I have not seen this piece, but I imagine that most of the slab is end grain. Is anyone aware of shops in the Triangle area that would do this work - for a fee of course?

Alternately, faced with such a task, how would you accomplish it?
Two ways I can think of, besides a wide belt sander, are:
1. good old hand planes (that's rather theoretical in my case because my 'array' of plances consists of a Record bench plane and a shoulder plane).
2. Belt sander on a frame... and a good dust mask!

Thanks

Henry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Another alternative is a router with a staight bit on a frame riding on rails. Probably would be faster than a beltsander.
Dave:)

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hey, that's a good idea. I just saw that technique in a book or article I was reading. They used it to flatten the top of a work bench.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Hey, that's a good idea. I just saw that technique in a book or article I was reading. They used it to flatten the top of a work bench.

Yup, a year or two ago, Wood magazine had an article about doing this.

Just in case you can't visualize what we're talking about, check these out for a pictorial of the jig:
Router Thicknesser - My First Jig - Woodwork Forums
Router Planer - Woodwork Forums
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=15141

I've never tried it, but I'd think a large diameter bit like this would work well...plus there are no sharp edges on the corners. I'd think it would cut smoother then a strait bit:

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I have a 38 Woodmaster in fayetteville NC and its at his disposal if needed. He needs to transport it to my place, but the sanding is free. Have a blessed day

U

Unregistered

Wide belt sanding alone, while producing a smooth surface, will not make a slab flat. I would start with winding sticks and a belt sander or DaveO's advice first, depending on the size of the slab. Then pass the slab, worked side down, through the wide belt. This should produce a truley flat slab of wood.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I would go the router route. Go to Woodcraft and get a couple of their $5.00 rabbeting bits, remove the bearing and grind off the stud that held bearing. Used on of these on my last highchair trays, and it worked beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors