2024 February Contest, Illusions in Wood

Vote for one Novice and One Experienced. Poll closes March 13th.

• Novice J-Graham (Graham) C-W-P Board, Post #2

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Novice WildDaisies (WildDaisies) Frog Engraving, Post #7

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Novice Bill_L (Bill) Waffle Board, Post #9

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Experienced cyclopentadiene (no profile name) PH-C-W Board, Post 3

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Experienced Bill J (Bill) Toy Box Embellishment, Post #6

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
The February contest is closed. Time to vote!
It is time for the next contest. This one could be a challenge and I know we have the members here that can create some outstanding works

Illusions in Wood - I'm thinking 2D that looks like 3D - easy for you cutting board and charcuterie creators. And, I'm thinking there are other opportunities like 3D puzzles, etc. Lets see what you've got.

Rules:
-Restrictions may apply as posted in the calendar above.
-Must be created/completed within the last 36 months - here's a reason to sell the old and build the new
-One submission per creator/artist per category (month)
-Each creator can win a contest no more than once every six months.
-Members vote for winners so your submittal 'marketing' post should reflect quality. Limited to 3 photos and 500 words. One post per submittal. Any Q&A regarding a submittal should be handled by separate post or DM, PM, or Start Conversation. I like the separate post because it doesn't clutter the contest thread, maybe preclude votes being biased, and everyone can share How's It Made with the forum.
-In case of a tie, a judge panel will make the selection. Judges decision is final. Judges will remain anonymous.
-Each monthly contest will have two winners, novice and journeyman/veteran/pro. Novice is defined as <3 years woodworking, cumulative. Journeyman is all others. Submitters must indicate if they are novice or journeymen; honor system applies. If you don't declare yourself as a novice, you are considered experienced/journeyman. Yep, this is a bit convoluted and may need some modification as we gain experience.

Post your entries here.

Last edited:

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I'll kick it off with a simple novice entry! Cherry, walnut, paduak: cross-cut at an angle (no clue what angle) then flip every other cross-cut strip, glue back together. This one was a housewarming gift for a friend.

Attachments

• 20220922_174445.jpg
    20220922_174445.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 100

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Various charcuterie boards just for fun. 1st purple heart, cherry and walnut. 2nd the trio walnut, maple, cherry and the Qbert pattern the trio. The open cube is really easy to make. The Qbert pattern is challenging as any slight imperfection in the angles or lengths as well as glue up is amplified as it gets larger. I had high hopes of a 36” table top but my accuracy skills are lacking. I need a month with Charlie.

Attachments

• IMG_4123.jpeg
    IMG_4123.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 71

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Various charcuterie boards just for fun. 1st purple heart, cherry and walnut. 2nd the trio walnut, maple, cherry and the Qbert pattern the trio. The open cube is really easy to make. The Qbert pattern is challenging as any slight imperfection in the angles or lengths as well as glue up is amplified as it gets larger. I had high hopes of a 36” table top but my accuracy skills are lacking. I need a month with Charlie.
-One submission per creator/artist per category (month)?

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
looking for more entries. Any basket weave illusion creators? Impossible cage (light bulb in a box), etc.?

Bill J

Bill
User
Edited down to one entry! I also realized one of the pictures in my original post was over 36 months old.
1. Stack of blocks on the front of a toy box, walnut with yellow heart, bloodwood and maple cubes

Attachments

• 2021-03-23 09.39.06.jpg
    2021-03-23 09.39.06.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some good works posted. Must be others. Please post your work!

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
This 'waffle' board was made back in 12/2022 for Linc's boss. My son (novice) figured out the pattern and did a lot of the work. I'd consider us (me, Linc, and my son Eric) all novices. The woods are afrormosia, cherry, maple, and birch. I've made a number of weave boards / stair step / folding cutting boards too. The annoying thing is that the recipients say 'It's too nice to cut on!'. I jokingly told my sister (she just got a weave board) that it's a $500 piece of art or a free cutting board. You decide ;).

Attachments

• IMG_5028.JPEG
    IMG_5028.JPEG
    945.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5025.JPEG
    IMG_5025.JPEG
    863 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5021.JPEG
    IMG_5021.JPEG
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5018.JPEG
    IMG_5018.JPEG
    662.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5014.JPEG
    IMG_5014.JPEG
    773.1 KB · Views: 53

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some great entries. Which is your favorite? Cast your vote!

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
looking for clock (cases) in March. Got one?

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
And the winners are:
Novice: WildDaisies Frog Engraving
Experienced: It was a tie. The Judge panel broke the tie: Bill J and the toy box illusion

Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS