Search results

1. T

Pre air conditoning workshops?

Having a great appreciation for old architecture (and old anything else), I know that before air conditioning, the geographical/topographical placement of buildings held a very important roll in the heating/cooling of a building. As well as strategic placement of windows and and Doors (tall...
  2. T

Making the Spring pole lathe

I'm well on my way to making a apring pole lathe. I am using the dimensions and such from Roy Underhill's "The woodwrights guid" there are a few dimensions missing though. The three that I have not figured out are these. on the "right hand puppet" (or left depending on your dominant hand) the...
  3. T

That guy that asks a lot of questions.

Hello all, I'm The_Mad_Woodworker. I'm sure to ask a lot of questions, count on it. In short, I'm 25, in college, an eagle scout, grew up in the country next to a horse farm, and my earliest memories of TV are episodes of the woodwrights shop. So as you may have guessed, I aim for hand tools...
  4. T

Writing desk wood?

Simple questions, what are the best species of wood to make a writing desk? (I'm guessing a hardwood)
  5. T

Argh! Humid Workshop!

Here is my dilemma. I am usings an old workshop, small, tin roof, about 50 years old. Here's the good news. All of the boards are tongue and groove, all of the posts are rough 8-10 in. diameter aromatic ceder, and 99% of the wood is all in good shape (no checking, rotting or warping). Here's the...
  6. T

Prevent wood Checking

As I understand it there is a substance that you can apply to the end of freshly lumbered/sawed wood to prevent checking as it cures. Being new to this, and a poor college student, I am curious about two things. A) what is the function of this substance (and for that mater what is it) and can...
  7. T

Is this birch good for lumber?

I have a number of trees of my property that I hope to one day timber into useful wood. For right now I am interested in birch. Previously I have felled and attempted to lumber (by hand) one of my medium sized (aprox. 7-8 inch Diameter) birches only to find that it had more knots in it than my...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS