Search results

1. creasman

Planemaker's float set -- Completed set

I use these floats for making side escapement planes. The edge floats shown are used to enlarge and true the sides of the mortise. Face floats for smoothing the inside surfaces and cheek floats are used for those problem areas where you have a hump. Floats come in all different sizes and...
  2. creasman

Making side bead planes

Thanks! I hope it sells a few tickets.
  3. creasman

Planemaker's float set -- Completed set

I recently had the need for a smaller set of edge floats to make a narrow mortise. These are from 1/8" thick tool steel and shorter than their big brother at 3/16" thick. I would have preferred to have them wider and longer, but chose to use the steel I had rather than reorder. They do work...
  4. creasman

Making side bead planes

I got a piece from Jack Murdock. He's in Bunn, NC and is listed in the resources on sawmills. It was a bit of a drive for me. I suggest calling around. Persimmon is a local species and others probably have it. In my case I purchased a 2x6 about 10' long. I probably have a life time supply...
  5. creasman

Making side bead planes

I'm in the process of making a set of side bead planes, ranging from 1/8" up to 1/2". A bead bigger than 1/2" is probably only going to be found on some architectural moulding, not on furniture. These planes need boxing to stand up to the wear where the quirk is cut. In my case I'm making the...
  6. creasman

Intarsia Wall Project Part 2

Really great work, Joe! I know from my limited art classes that eyes are tough to get right. Always took an eraser and several tries before I was satisfied.
  7. creasman

Add for Laguna band saw fence

Let us know how you like it.
  8. creasman

Add for Laguna band saw fence

Do you have a link to the ad? Perhaps this from Rockler: https://www.rockler.com/laguna-dxiii-driftmaster-fence-system-for-18bx-cx-bandsaw
  9. creasman

work in progress, 1/6th 1890's navy steam launch built to navy plans

Glad he's getting a vacation... you're working him to the bone!
  10. creasman

work in progress, 1/6th 1890's navy steam launch built to navy plans

Nice! Is Slim gonna retire after this project or remain on the job as part of the skeleton crew?
  11. creasman

Free pecan logs

Might be worth at least asking someone with a portable saw mill or means to transport what it would cost to have it milled (and maybe kiln dried). Could be we get a group to go in together and then divide the lumber. The possibility of hitting nails might make it cost-prohibitive. Sharpening...
  12. creasman

Free pecan logs

Hope someone takes you up on this. Pecan is a nice wood, albeit a bit hard to work (like hickory). I bet logs that diameter would make beautiful lumber.
  13. creasman

April Contest

I guess someone has to start off this month's entries, so here goes (journeyman/veteran/pro category)... Drill Press Table with Fence I purchased a used Delta drill press and decided to make a decent table for woodworking with these goals in mind: Table large enough to support the work (about...
  14. creasman

Stanley no.113-sold

These are good planes, one of those tools you don't know you need until you need it... and nothing else will work quite as well. I have the same model and have used it several times to smooth out a curve while making furniture.
  15. creasman

Tenoning fixture query

Drilling a couple more holes and moving the bar seems like the easier option. You'll just have to make these as accurate as possible in order to keep the work moving parallel to the blade. Certainly doable if you take your time marking the location. I'd use a center punch and maybe a center...
  16. creasman

Tenoning fixture query

What if you reposition the guide bar that runs in the slot to be closer to the edge. That would move the base away from the blade. Pretty sure the one I have has multiple sets of holes. I'd assumed these were to accommodate different saws, but likely for this reason as well.
  17. creasman

cutting off top of box

I typically use a table saw with the blade set just high enough to saw trough, then saw each side by rotating the box. Use a fine, sharp blade and hold the box steady as you push, especially when beginning and ending the cuts. This is where the blade enters or exits through the previous side's...
  18. creasman

Another arm chair completed

Beautiful work, Dan!
  19. creasman

Building a Chevalet de Marqueterie

Thanks. They are very accurate in the hands of a skilled craftsman. I'm told you have to go to the very high end scroll saws before there is a comparison. For the record, I did use hide glue on the pegs and some of the more visible glue joints. Mostly it was Titebond, though.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS