Search results

1. J

Evolution track saw cuts metal Great!

I realize this is a woodworking website but some of us get to do a little metal cutting occasionally too. I used HD gift cards provided by somebody else to get a track saw for our church volunteer group. I planned to get a Wen but HD was out of them at the time and the next cheapest was the...
  2. J

New Coffee Table

I wanted a new coffee table for two reasons. First my existing coffee table is made of oak which doesn't fit my current house real well. The other reason is my other hobby, air guns. I can shoot air rifles in my backyard legally and I often do. So I like to have them near by but I also have...
  3. J

Chairs finally Done!

I built a new dining room table earlier this year and posted about it. The table is 10 feet long, 42 inches wide, with a cherry top and a structure of framing lumber stained black with ink (covered with poly). But it needed chairs. I did not feel like making them right away, I built a dresser...
  4. J

Resawing on my Jet JWBS-14SFX Bandsaw

I bought a new bandsaw last year after being without one since I moved in 2013. I had an old home made 12 inch saw but didn't want to pay to store it until my shop was built. I bought a Jet JWBS-14SFX which is a steel frame, 13 inch resaw capacity, saw with a 1 3/4 hp motor. Until this week I...
  5. J

Why I still use an old Ryobi AP-10 planner.

For anybody who is unfamiliar, the first lunchbox planner was the Ryobi AP-10. As the name suggests, it can only plane up to 10 inch wide boards. I bought one used about 20 years ago and even though I could afford to replace it, I have not. Why? The 10 inch capacity is rarely an issue. For...
  6. J

Cypress for drawers?

I bought some cypress boards this morning to use for drawer sides and backs in a dresser I am making. It is nominally 5/8 thick so it shouldn't be too hard to plane down to the 1/2 thickness I want. Any comments on this? Think it will work? Any tips? The nightstands in the same bedroom...
  7. J

New Dining Room Table

I completed my new dining room table in January. Base is softwood construction lumber died black with black ink covered with poly. Top is 6 cherry boards from McKittrick Lumber. I bought it as 1 inch but these boards were clear on one side and almost totally clear on the underside at a little...
  8. J

Floating Shelves

I wanted some shelves above a sink I recently added to a storage room off my garage and a 8 foot+ wall at right angles (roughly) to this wall. One side cannot go to the wall because that is where the breaker box is. So when I saw Willemjm (Willem) post about his floating shelves including some...
  9. J

Now I can heat and cool my shop!

I finished the last of 3 little projects to permit me to heat and cool my shop. The limitation I was addressing is my dog. She gets very excited if she cannot see me but the noise in my shop is too much for her ears if the equipment is on. So my solution was to put her on a cable in the front...
  10. J

Finally did some woodworking today

I doubled the low spot drain in my driveway two weeks ago - tough part is taking out a strip of concrete. I cleaned up some water supply piping and tied in a drain for a utility sink last week. So two weeks with almost no woodworking. Today I decided to fix up an old bench that has been...
  11. J

Router table router died

I've been using an old Ryobi R500 motor in my router table. It has to be over 20 years old and died. I noticed it was running oddly and looked at it and something had melted and run out the air inlet. I took it apart but it isn't obvious what melted and part availability isn't great. It used...
  12. J

Second Covid-19 project

I think I posted about my first project, a dresser. More recently I built this bunk bed of construction lumber. Doubled 2x4s for the legs, 2x6s for the rails and 2x3s for the ladders in the ends. Planed down 2x3s for the safety rail for the top bunk. The trundel bed has a 1x12 for the front...
  13. J

SawStop injury

A week ago today I got stupider than normal and got hurt despite my choice of table saw. I was using a dado stack for the first time on it which means changing the cartridge which I had not done before. It isn't hard but I think it may have distracted me somewhat. My dumb decision was to hold...
  14. J

Ripping blades for SawStop PCS 1.75hp

I've had a SawStop for the last year or so. I got the 110V, 1.75hp version with the 36 inch rip fence. I like it but I have tripped the overload a few times. Today I started a bunk bed for my grandkids which will be made of construction lumber. I bought the wood today, cut the 2x4s for the...
  15. J

My Coronavirus response

A week ago yesterday I was a bit down. My church had canceled the Sunday service and also my volunteer activities for Monday. So I went and bought some softwood at HD to make a dresser for my kids. The bed and other furniture in that room is all softwood. I was going to buy 12 foot 1x10s or...
  16. J

I Hate barrel bolts

My second grandson almost got a store bought crib today. I have his nearly done but have messed around for about 6 hours installing 8 barrel bolts. You drill a little over 3/8 hole one direction for the round nut and then a little over 1/4 the other direction for the bolt. I am not pleased...
  17. J

JimD's DC sucks!

I've been talking about a dust collector for months and finally took a couple weekends to get it set up. The blower is from a 2hp HF. It has the smaller Oneida super dust deputy which has a 6 inch connection for the blower and a 5 inch for the piping. I changed the HF blower to a 6 inch inlet...
  18. J

dresser/changing table for grandson number 2

I have not posted anything with pictures in a very long time but I will try on this. I have a dresser done for my Son and Daugher in laws first who is due to arrive in November. I promised a crib too and got the wood yesterday so it is next. They specified it be painted white and they like a...
  19. J

Domino XL for ~$250

I was just messing around, dreaming a bit, and googled the Domino DF700, the big one. Amazon came up at $1500 like everybody else but then I clicked on their "other sources" tab and a supplier came up at less than $250. Delivery is late August to early September suggesting it is coming in from...
  20. J

Running propane piping

I am still spending more time on home projects than woodworking but I believe it is winding down. I reframed and finished a set of stairs, refinished another set, replaced all the molding in the house, installed new kitchen and bath cabinets and appliances, etc.. In February I paid a local...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS