Search results

1. tvrgeek

Bandsaw tensioning

I get better results a bit tighter than the flutter method. Not so much in tracking, but a little better cut quality.
  2. tvrgeek

Liberty Antique Festival

Wish you posted yesterday. I might have gone. Productive day though as I finally made a new cabinet for my TS blades.
  3. tvrgeek

Bandsaw tensioning

I would love to play with ( copy?) that jig as I am totally by guess on tension. Quite a lot of differences in when one's finger turns white. Once one gets the feel, then easy. Tension by flutter I found to be way too light. $40 plus shipping seems a bit much but probably a very low volume...
  4. tvrgeek

Bandsaw tensioning

As I showed in another thread, I made a little pointer inside my saw to reference where the center is. Just makes it a tiny bit quicker when changing blades as I do switch between a 1/4 or 3/8 for general stuff and now my new 3/4 resaw.
  5. tvrgeek

Router bits for low volume use

I agree and Whiteside is well respected and there is that aftermarket that has a special coating for them. I will pay some of a premium for local premium tools. Yea, I do have a L-N, an Veritas and am going to order another Narlex Ricter chisel. There is a limit though. I suspect CMTs are...
  6. tvrgeek

Grab handle

Your stick reminded me of a story about my Grandfather. Calvary Coronel. He carried around an old riding crop to fend off any "hoodlums'". Well, one day some punk tried to mug him. He beat the crap out of the kid with that crop! I put grab rails in my shower when I re-did it. Super good move...
  7. tvrgeek

Trying cheap as a starter. Lots to learn.
  8. tvrgeek

Just an FYI on Harvey

Kind of violates the law of physics unless the 4 HP is actually 3 and if so, their loss on me buying the lower end saw. ( Which I am very happy with) Soft start would help in either case. 3 HP is usually specified for s 20A line and 4 a 25 amp line. 5 HP 30A. Part of my power issue is...
  9. tvrgeek

OK, set up to cope rail and stile, frames etc. Hundreds of feet, not thousands. Looking at bit sets, they run from the ubiquitous "yellow" around $41 to Whiteside for $152 on the "Shaker" style and from $74 for Bosch to over $75 for the acknowledged higher quality. In actual performance, how...
  10. tvrgeek

Grab handle

Yea, happens to all of us. Clad you are astute enough to do it before a stumble.
  11. tvrgeek

2024 Annual Picnic RSVP May 18, 2024

Upping to two. Talked my better half into it. Updated in the top box.
  12. tvrgeek

Picnic, May 18 2024

Memory fading. I think I registered but can't remember. One only. Don;t want to miss out on door prizes. ( but of course, expect a trunk full from the raffle) I'll wait to see if we are missing something close to the picnic. That worked out last year.
  13. tvrgeek

Need a new Table saw blade

A few thou? I find that hard to believe. The shoe slams in a good distance from all the pictures I have seen. 1/4 inch at least. Too bad the old woodworkers shows are pretty much defunct. Ridge used to have a booth at the entrance and would do one blade for free. My experience puts Freud...
  14. tvrgeek

Router table coping sled advice please

I have a Griz/Lyon trimmer. Yes, very accurate with enough fiddling of the eccentrics. A bit if 320 grit glued to the wings helps a lot. But it is limited in how thin a slice as too thin the blade won't grab and it just slips over in the ways. I have looked at originals and don't think there is...
  15. tvrgeek

Really impressed with Laguna Resaw-King

Yes, you may still have to joint, or plane, or sand. But not as much. Feed may be a tiny bit slower but well worth it so far. I don't push the speed anyway letting the saw do what it feels is right. Less drift that way. It was $157 from Oak Tree, not $200. Depends on length of course. 1...
  16. tvrgeek

Really impressed with Laguna Resaw-King

I have been using Sawblades.com for most of my bands. No complaints. Just a quick hone on the sides to de-bur and very smooth cuts. BUT Just got a Laguna Resaw King carbide, 3/4 x 125 as that is what my Harvey C14 uses. First cut, I re-sawed some 8 inch red oak. Easily twice as smooth as the...
  17. tvrgeek

Just an FYI on Harvey

Cool. The dovetail trunnion is a step up from my pivot trunnion. If they had it in 3 HP, I would have bought it, but I am a little power limited in my shop.
  18. tvrgeek

Need a new Table saw blade

Been trying a multi-purpose blade. Leitz/Harvey Destroyer. Nope. Going back to my rip and crosscut. Not bad and better than the Freud if I remember, but not as smooth as my Amana 60 tooth crosscut and way slower on rip than my 24 tooth CMT. I got it as a thank you from Harvey for buying...
  19. tvrgeek

Spent the day making a prototype. In use, found a couple issues ( common to the generic ones) and I came up with a better idea on squaring it and holding the square. I'll finish it off tomorrow and picture. It is larger than the generic ones to give room to screw down a 45 spacer. I have...
  20. tvrgeek

After some contemplating, headed to the shop to DIY. I'll try the toggle clamps as I have some. Usually I add fine sandpaper to the base and fence to keep things from moving. Ironic, they make the bases from phenolic or melamine MDF which are slick. I'll take Dave's second and order the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS