Search results

1. E

How to Remove a stuck faceplate? EDIT - Accomplished

If you can’t lock the headstock, is there a pin on an idler? Or perhaps on the motor? Is there a hole you can run a rod through to tap the plate with a third hand while you’re wrenching on it? Otherwise get some Suede leather or rubber or something to grip the shaft with vice grips. Or if...
  2. E

According to my wife ...

My dad told me once that when you’re not a little scared of the thing, that’s when you get it. As such, I’m pretty conscious every time I turn it on that this could be the time that patient meat eater takes a bite. He had an incident years ago with kickback that drew large amounts of blood...
  3. E

Planet Mesquite Demo

Quite impressive.
  4. E

Hello from Charlotte

Charlottean and hand tool fan here! Welcome! I'm off Rama Rd.
  5. E

Need help finding a current riser block kit for an old saw.

Have you any experience with resawing on that type of arrangement? My grandfather had a taiwan copy that it seems everyone has had at one time or another, and it didn’t work very well. I asked my dad for the riser kit for my taiwanese copy, and he told me to forget about it. Having said...
  6. E

what oil for hand plane maintenance?

Does it smell like Hoppes?
  7. E

what oil for hand plane maintenance?

I use Glide Coat, but overspray can be a bit of a pain to get off the japanning. But since I already have it on hand for the table saw... aside from that I use Marvel, again because i have it on hand. Sometimes i wonder if Lie-Neilsen and the Chris Schwarz’s of the world try to find the...
  8. E

Handsaw Sharpening

My experience with learning how to sharpen was fantastic. Really, I’d say just dive in. Many likely to disagree with me, but I’ve found the nicholson files in the green bubble pack from the blue or orange home store work just fine. I’ve ordered the more expensive Portuguese and Italian files...
  9. E

Slow speed grinder

Also, many of my gripes with the Grizzly would apply to the Tormek as well. Wheels same size, tool bar length, expensive accessories, flip flop operation.... my objections aren’t really Griz specific.
  10. E

Slow speed grinder

In my experience it takes less time to do by hand. I use a belt sander as well for the flats. Grinder to re-establish the bevel, both would still be required to use the slow water wheel. And if you’re looking at an old thick 2 3/8” wide iron from a wooden plane, forget it. You’d be there all...
  11. E

new turning

Nice!
  12. E

South American Mahogany

I have some mahogany from my grandpa’s stash, and I recall him coveting whichever source was harder to get back in the 80s. Philippine? I think what I have is Honduran. Anyways it’s great to work on a lathe. Rich color, cooperative always straight grain, plays well with the light. I’ve...
  13. E

Just received these

I bought them from here: https://www.ducotools.nl/?lang=en The maker is Sims
  14. E

Slow speed grinder

I have that grizzly and cussed it out of service. I have so many design objections to that thing that I decided learning to sharpen by hand was a better way to go. Why isn’t the leather wheel the same size as the stone wheel? Why isn’t the tool rest long enough to bridge the two wheels...
  15. E

I’m not feeling woodworky...

Also, for some reason this time of year, my unfinished projects queue empties. Not consciously, but perhaps instinctively. My dad, who is one of the most talented woodworkers I know, takes the summer off too. He likes to fish and shoot sporting clays instead of being stuck in the shop. He...
  16. E

I have a window unit, and that helped last year, but i think it’s more of all the other stuff. Kids activities and going to the pool, house maintenance.... this year for the first time, I’m working from home and the only place i can do that without family distraction is in the garage, where...
  17. E

...now that the summer is kicking in. Last year, i devoted the summer to building TS jigs and other fixtures that would help during the real project time for me, which is fall/winter. I’m getting less interested as the humidity climbs. Anyone else take the summer off, so to speak?
  18. E

Just received these

these are Sims - London, btw. which means those two that are missing are going to be pretty difficult to replace.
  19. E

Just received these

ducotools in europe. Leap of faith (being international and sight unseen basically, but it worked out.
  20. E

6" LONGBED JOINTER

I’ve only sold a couple of things on CL over the years, but the last thing i sold was a 6x12 enclosed trailer. I asked 1100 and said firm, and i meant it. One of the responses i got was from some guy who told me that while the price was great, he was a disabled veteran and could i find it in...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS