Search results

1. karlkoch

WIP

Well then I'm overdue for a change of soap solution. No telling what has leached out of that wood for the past several years. I have added soap from time to time but I have no idea of the soap/water percentages at this point. I like my brown paper bag and shavings method for drying although I...
  2. karlkoch

WIP

Sounds like you have plenty of turning projects ahead of you Gene. I use the same soaking method as you, as you might guess. My two 30 gal. trashcans are down to about 1/3 full of solution and it's getting pretty "gunky" and thick. Do you pour yours out and start over at some point or just add...
  3. karlkoch

Help with wood ID please!

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to put some on the lathe today and treat it as if it is Pecan...which I have turned before. I have a pretty good idea how green pecan will behave as it dries and warps.
  4. karlkoch

I do not have acess to the property to take photos of the tree at their point. It's definitely not a Tree of Heaven. Sounds like the consensus is Pecan. Thank you for your help!
  5. karlkoch

New Bern, NC. I was given several sections of a large limb that I plan on turning. The tree (see photo) looked like black walnut or pecan but the bark on the limb sections don't look like those species to me. The wood itself also doesn't look like black walnut to me (see photo). But I am...
  6. karlkoch

Freckled Bowl

Nice looking bowls Gene. You said they were sanded to 320 grit but that the wood was green. Did you wet sand? If not, how did you keep the sandpaper from gumming up from the wet wood?
  7. karlkoch

New Bern Lunch Bunch

I'm looking forward to it!
  8. karlkoch

RIP Joe Scharle

Kristen, my condolences to you and your family. Your father was a fine man. I got to know him over "woodworker lunches" in New Bern and always learned something from him each time. He will be missed.
  9. IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

Osage Orange (hedge) wood. Lathe turned and then carved with a palm router on a sled. Used the indexing feature of my lathe for accuracy on the "teeth". Just for fun.
  10. HedgeMallet.jpg

HedgeMallet.jpg

A friend gave me some chunks of Osage Orange (hedge) which is very dense and heavy. So I turned a carving mallet as my first project with the wood. Looking forward to using it!
  11. karlkoch

Free Black Forest Clock - some assembly required

He and I are supposed to meet in New Bern toward the end of the week. If he doesn't want it I will let you know.
  12. karlkoch

Comment by 'karlkoch' in media 'Vase'

Thanks for the invite Charlie. I'd like to take you up on it after the holiday family stuff has settled down. -Karl
  13. karlkoch

Free Black Forest Clock - some assembly required

This Black Forest Clock has been in the family for 3 generations. However a few pieces have broken off (I think that i have all the pieces) and I agreed to work on it as a project...about 15 years ago. It's clear that I am not motivated. So it is free to someone in the NCWW that wants a clock...
  14. karlkoch

Comment by 'karlkoch' in media 'Vase'

Charlie, It was good to see you at the New Bern lunch bunch last week. Your work is always impressive...but iI think I like this one best of all. Well done!
  15. Dadurn6.jpg

Dadurn6.jpg

I made an urn for my father's ashes for his service this past week. It started out as a spalted maple hollow-form and I added a walnut ld sealed on with beeswax. Decorated with a wood-burned "basketweave" pattern with home-made wood-burning tips. Finished with Danish Oil and Renaissance Wax.
  16. karlkoch

Aged Oak "basket bowl"

Thank you. I did not sketch this one although I do sketch many of the pieces I make ahead of time, especially the hollow forms. I have done enough of these that I am starting to know the wall thickness that I want to leave for a given router bit/depth. Also, I am starting to compile notes on the...
  17. karlkoch

Bradford Pear

Nice shape and finish Gene! I like the rim and base detail.
  18. karlkoch

Aged Oak "basket bowl"

I've combined the various techniques that I've been playing with lately. Shouldered oak bowl - turned and sanded to 180 grit then cut with parting tool on inside and indexed router jig on the outside to make the "basket" effect. Sandblasted to accentuate grain and create texture then ebonized...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS