Woodworkers Guild of America

Status
Not open for further replies.

drchristian

New User
David
Looking at Woodworkers Guild membership. There appears to be some good woodworking videos. The price seems reasonable $35 a year or $80 a year. Anyone else a member and is it worth the price?

NTCook

New User
Nick
Tried it last year and it was a waste of money in my opinion. Webpage is not very well thought out from what I remember, not difficult to use but strange. Often times paid videos would not load even while logged in. Plans for furniture had glaring errors and cut lists that didn't match up. The learning information might be helpful for a newcomer to woodworking but there isn't much for someone with a little bit of experience. IMO the money would be better spent getting a subscription to a couple of magazines, just as many shop tips and better plans if that's what you're looking for.

Also, some quick googling will turn up some shady business practices used by them in the past.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
they kept bugging me last year to become a member. I kept pushing back then they offered me a full year with all perks for $10! That is worth it!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
With all the you tube videos out the, plus many WW web sites, it's hard to justify spending ANYTHING on these type deals.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Paid $9 for membership and worth that. NOT WORTH A DIME MORE!

I got mine for $6 for a year. Will not renew. While the site may have some good info, I've had issue getting videos to play on different computers that have no issues on other sites. Frustration level with site was high that I've not gone back to look at plans to see if any worthwhile.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
As mentioned they frequently have the membership on sale if you're on their email list. If you decide to join wait for the best deal. I'm a member and use it some. But I'm now on a metered Internet plan and don't watch videos very much at all, they take too much bandwidth.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
As mentioned they frequently have the membership on sale if you're on their email list. If you decide to join wait for the best deal. I'm a member and use it some. But I'm now on a metered Internet plan and don't watch videos very much at all, they take too much bandwidth.

Did you set the METERED switch in Advanced Options? Can help control usage.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Advanced options for what? It's not usually a big problem. I have a 20GB monthly limit before they start slowing me down. Have only been close to going over it a few times. Like when the wife decided to stream a horse show on her tablet while watching tennis on TV at the same time.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Isn't that the now defunct Handyman a of America club? I did enjoy the magazine. Haven't bothered with the new thing, I have a life time membership and I may be old, but I'm not dead. I should not have to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors