UPDATED - Second NCWW Scholarship Awarded (Thank You Email Added)

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Board of Directors would like to announce that the second North Carolina Woodworker Scholarship has been awarded to a talented student, Allen, at Haywood Community College.
We have reached out to the Scholarship Winner and hopefully will be connecting him to this group soon. This is very recent, and we just got the notice this afternoon. So, it is very exciting news.

THANK YOU to everyone in this group for supporting this goal and donating to make this Scholarship possible. Not only was the goal met to have 1 scholarship, but we now official have 2 awarded.
The board is very thankful to all who have supported this initiative and have contributed time and monies to this method of advancing the art and discipline of woodworking.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is from the Scholarship Recipient

Good morning, Mr. Carmac!

I am honored and happy to receive the North Carolina Woodworker Scholarship, and while my entire time at Haywood Community College has been a remarkable and magical experience, receiving a scholarship from a group of peers is among the best things that has happened to me.

I brushed elbows with NCWoodworker.net in 2006 when I posted sparingly over the course of a few weeks. I registered under a different user name to protect my anonymity–until retirement I worked in a nearby high school, and while I was fond of and trusted nearly all of the students, some might have been a little too inquisitive and intrusive about my non-school life. However, since then I’ve become active in the NCWoodworker Facebook page and felt a sense of things clicking into place when I first read your email. One of the nicest things about the group is the sense of collegiality of like-minded folks, and while there’s an astounding amount of woodworking content online, I like the fact that the contributors all hail from the Land of the Longleaf Pine.

When I started the program I thought I’d have to work part-time to defray my expenses, but in the first semester I learned that working through the program is pretty much the equivalent of a full time job–formal classes occupy a part of a week, but to complete my projects I often spend forty or fifty hours a week in the studio and shop. Fortunately, the generosity of donors and patrons has helped me manage my finances successfully.

I will post in the online forum and Facebook pages soon to reintroduce myself and share the gratitude I’m feeling. I will also give an overview of my plans after graduation. Haywood Community College has helped me gain some traction towards starting a small business to supplement my pension, but the generosity of groups and individuals like NCWoodworker.net has afforded me the luxury of focusing more on my craft than my bottom line.

On a final note, please forward my thanks to the members of the board and anyone who played a part in conceiving or funding the scholarship. And, I’d like to pay it forward and will keep an eye out for an opportunity to donate to the scholarship fund. Thanks again for this generosity. As noted earlier, I am grateful and a little giddy at being recognized like this.

Enjoy the balance of your weekend!

Allen Kromer

"...and gladly wolde he lerne and gladly teche."

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Awesome !, we're on a roll ........... thanks to all who put in the great work to make this happen.

Darl Bundren

Allen
Senior User
Hey, everybody! My real name is Allen, and as noted above, I am happy and proud to be the recipient of a scholarship from NCWoodworker.net. I will post in the Who We Are forum here in a few but wanted to underscore my appreciation here to you all. Thanks again!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS