May Contest - Framed

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is (past) time for the monthly contest. It's May, and time to frame. Door, window, picture frame. Any frame is game. What have you framed lately?

Rules:
-Must be created/completed within the last 24 months - here's a reason to sell the old and build the new
-One submission per creator/artist per category (month)
-Each creator can win a contest no more than once every six months.
-Members vote for winners so your submittal 'marketing' post should reflect quality. Limited to 3 photos and 500 words. One post per submittal. Any Q&A regarding a submittal should be handled by separate post or DM, PM, or Start Conversation. I like the separate post because it doesn't clutter the contest thread, maybe preclude votes being biased, and everyone can share How's It Made with the forum.
-In case of a tie, a judge panel will make the selection. Judges decision is final. Judges will remain anonymous.
-Each monthly contest will have two winners, novice and journeyman/veteran/pro. Novice is defined as <3 years woodworking, cumulative. Journeyman is all others. Submitters must indicate if they are novice or journeymen; honor system applies. Yep, this is a bit convoluted and may need some modification as we gain experience.

What have you framed recently?

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, like this....

Ineligible, (duh!) for the contest, but I framed these numbers out for our daughter who is planning a little get together in a few weeks for her parents. Left a space in the "5" for the DIL to add a small piece of her art work (that's my story).

Unknown-10.jpeg

Simple construction. Bought a piece of 4X8 white board at big blue and some primed 1x6. Found the Chakra Petch font on MSPowerPoint and projected the numbers on to the white board with a video projector. Outlined the numbers with a Sharpie on painters tape and cut the whiteboard with a track saw. Most of the 1X6 was cut on the "Original" RAS and some on the Griz slider. Several coats of Emtech satin white were applied with the Spray-it gravity gun. These are basically 4' tall and a little over 2' wide. Note: they are not the same width.

Daughter (the queen) is happy. Queen mother (a.k.a., Dearly Beloved or Mgmt) hasn't spoken yet. She may be thinking about what it has taken to get to 50 with me!

Last edited:

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
My entry, as a Novice, is this frame I made for my dad's flag and some of his items from Vietnam. It's not ornate or overly complicated but it was a little bit of a challenge for me as a planner and measurer, designer, which I'm not but trying to be better with. I needed to display the flag but had limited wall space and so I combined some of the remaining items from his service in with it but it had to meet protocol as well by keeping the flag preeminent.

This was made in 2023 from cherry scraps and purple heart splines and my first time with a profile other than a chamfer. I missed square a few times and by now have figured out why and have tightened my tools better as I became more familiar with what square really means and how many ways to check it. Some errors have some glue and dust that I did wrong as they are visible, I do it differently now, if needed.

Although, not perfect I like the cross piece, it's profile and fairly good fit. If doing this again I would push the display a little more forward. I believe I got the glass cut right the first time and unlike another frame I actually got the glass in before I glue it all up. Not sure how a I glued a frame and forgot glass.

Anyway, this is it. Please, if you vote, vote on the work not the contents.

Attachments

• 20230212_172923.jpg
    20230212_172923.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20240509_143836.jpg
    20240509_143836.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20240509_143559.jpg
    20240509_143559.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
What is this? Only 2 people submitting frames? Gotta be others who need to show off their work to inspire all of us. Let's see what you got!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS