Made this box for my wife Linda

Sstrave

SteveC
Senior User
Some beautiful figured / birdseye maple with purple heaart and ebony accents. In inches it's 12 X 7 x 4.5 with sides and top about 1/4 inch thick.
The medallion is Japanese from late 1800's. I let the wood speak for itself and finished it with OSMO Polyx - oil clear satin. Very nice finish to work with.
DSC01049.JPG
DSC01050.JPG
DSC01051.JPG
DSC01053.JPG

Sstrave

SteveC
Senior User
Thanks all. I appreciate it. Insetting the medallion was touchy as it was not a constant thickness. I outlined it with a pencil in the orientation I wanted (not exactly round) and then used a small router set just shy of the thinner parts of the medallion and routed to the line. After that it was a process of lowering the bit for the thicker sections and shaving it a little deeper. It took a while. Eventually I could glue it in and I got a tight flat fit.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Some beautiful figured/birdseye maple with purple heaart and ebony accents. In inches it's 12 X 7 x 4.5 with sides and top about 1/4 inch thick.
The medallion is Japanese from late 1800's. I let the wood speak for itself and finished it with OSMO Polyx - oil clear satin. Very nice finish to work with.
It's a great box, and the medallion complements the maple.

Sstrave

SteveC
Senior User
Thanks for all the kind words. I try to come pretty close to the golden ratio on proportions. It just seems pleasing.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The wood choices and box style suit the medallion perfectly! It is a beautiful piece.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I must be off my game.

This could make a great how-to article for the Resource forum, please?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS