How get rid of sawdust?

jpmcn

James
User
How do you handle your sawdust? At this point, I have a 30 gal container that I need to get rid of. Of course, I'm continuing make more sawdust. Thanks for your reply.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Compost is the most common, Usually there is a local compost place that accepts it. Another way would to dump in a field if you have one or have a ranch/farmer friend.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It really depends on where you live. I’ve used it for fire starter, mulch, add to a compost pile. If you live in the city you may want to check your local waste management. I live in High Point and they have a compost site I occasionally donate to.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I generally dump mine in the woods behind my house (still my property). Composting can be tricky, depending on the type of sawdust and how you plan to use the compost. For example, walnut can be toxic to other plants. It's a natural feature of the tree that it uses to suppress other plant growth under its canopy. Likewise, if you're sawing treated lumber I'd avoid composting that as well.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
The clean shavings I generate go to a friends chicken coop. “Contaminanted” sawdust from the DC go to the woods. The latter may contain filings, plastic, etc. if detrimental to farm animals, compost or landfill.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
As Dee2 mentioned, someone with chickens will be your friend forever - i did this in California for years and had a near endless supply of eggs. Here in NC, I just dump it in the back among the trees.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I don't have a yard that can accommodate dumping/composting. My dust collection is a 35 gallons barrel lined with a plastic bag...so I simple put the bag in the trash container and let the town haul it away.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I don't have a yard that can accommodate dumping/composting. My dust collection is a 35 gallons barrel lined with a plastic bag...so I simple put the bag in the trash container and let the town haul it away.
Pretty much the same here. I do a lot of walnut so those shavings along with dust gets bagged in 40 gal bags and out to the trash.

As a newly married and in our first house, I planted some tomato plants and mulched them with walnut shavings and dust because it looked good. Watered them a lot. I learned a lesson in agriculture back in 1973. To say my crop didn't end well would be an understatement.

jpmcn

James
User
Thank all of you for your response to my post. At this point, I think that I will try to find someone that raises chicken to see if they are interested in my sawdust. In the meantime, I will put it in my garage that I pay to have collected.

Old post I know but I wanted to share this: I found this a few months back. I haven't had a chance to try it yet because I'm waiting for my shop and future home to finish construction. We plan to have a fire pit in the back yard and this will put the sawdust to good use.

Here's the original article I found and it uses old egg crates vice paper cups:

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Thank all of you for your response to my post. At this point, I think that I will try to find someone that raises chicken to see if they are interested in my sawdust. In the meantime, I will put it in my garage that I pay to have collected.
Kudos to you for trying to find an eco-friendly solution.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I live in the city. The garbage truck takes it away. Unfortunately they will not go to my shop and sweep it up or empty my dust collector drum

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Saw dust makes compost, but it takes a few years to decompose. If It it is not ready, it Rob’s the soil of nitrogen, with poor results.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have several final resting places depending on the type of micro wood.

Shavings of good size go in contractor garbage bags and eventually get made into fire starter bags, cups and sold to campgrounds or just handfuls for the fireplace.

Tablesaw and dust collector fines get distributed in the garden paths or woods depending on species, walnut to woods, everything else gets in the garden. I don’t deal in chipboard nor MDF.

The lathe chips get scattered in the woods or used as mulch around the yard plants.

Sharpshooter

New User
Wayne
How do you handle your sawdust? At this point, I have a 30 gal container that I need to get rid of. Of course, I'm continuing make more sawdust. Thanks for your reply.
What area are you located? Asking in case shop is within a reasonable distance to come and pick it up.
Grandson uses sawdust for various livestock needs.
Farm is in eastern Rowan County, NC
Thanks

Last edited:

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
plastic bag in the trash can is my go to now, i used to just dump the dust bin into the can at the street and watch the cloud of dust when the trash make picked it up but I have gotten nicer as i've gotten older :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS