Hope to occupy mid/late October 2023

cvestal

New User
Chris
Retired from fire service and finally building my shop. Open to thoughts about the lay out.

If you happen to have seen this over on the “who we are” thread, I’m figuring this out too.

Attachments

• IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0571.jpeg
    IMG_0571.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0572.jpeg
    IMG_0572.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0573.jpeg
    IMG_0573.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 101

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Layout: Wheels on anything you can get them on that will be safe. Tall floor machines like drill presses and maybe band saws need to be on the floor and not on wheels.
Nice shop building. The garage door will make getting things in and out so much easier.

cvestal

New User
Chris
Layout: Wheels on anything you can get them on that will be safe. Tall floor machines like drill presses and maybe band saws need to be on the floor and not on wheels.
Nice shop building. The garage door will make getting things in and out so much easier.
Thank you for the feed back,
I had the opportunity to purchase a buddies dads woodworking equipment after he passed and he had everything on wheels. And yes if you look closely the windows on the left side of the shop are up high. Was kinda planning on making that my “break down” starting point. Just can’t make my mind up as have a stationary miter station or mobile. Along that wall.

cvestal

New User
Chris
Thank you for the feed back,
I had the opportunity to purchase a buddies dads woodworking equipment after he passed and he had everything on wheels. And yes if you look closely the windows on the left side of the shop are up high. Was kinda planning on making that my “break down” starting point. Just can’t make my mind up as have a stationary miter station or mobile. Along that wall.
Wheels!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Miter saws are essentally disposable portable power tools so don't put too much effort and resources in one. Its not like it is a radial arm saw that's capable of so much more. For a temporary chopping station for relatively narrow stock, a chop saw is fine. Probably consider work in process and how you'll deal with those logistics. Stock storage is another biggie to consider. We don't know what type of projects you'll be doing in the future and you probably don't either at this point.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Nice!

Not sure of the shop size, but looks nice.

Dust collection: Are you going to vent outside, or?
If outside, is there a specific window you'll use?

Low\high ceilings, 2 level - 2nd for wood storage, or only 1 level?

Send us more information on the shop specifics when you have time..

Thank you for the post and keep us informed on the progress, when you can.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
9 ft ceilings are great. Wheels are great. I even put my 4x8 assembly table on wheels. Power to my main saw was in the floor, part of construction. One end of my was dedicated to racks for wood. Your layout looks good.

Last edited:

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Storage for materials both long term and project specific. Storage for work in progress in case you need to jump to another project. As has been said consider work flow for machinery arrangement. Wheels will save you in the end!

cvestal

New User
Chris
9 ft ceilings are great. Wheels are great. I even put my 4x8 assembly table on wheels. Power to my main saw was in the floor, part of construction. One end was dedicated to racks for wood. Yours layout looks good.
Nice!

Not sure of the shop size, but looks nice.

Dust collection: Are you going to vent outside, or?
If outside, is there a specific window you'll use?

Low\high ceilings, 2 level - 2nd for wood storage, or only 1 level?

Send us more information on the shop specifics when you have time..

Thank you for the post and keep us informed on the progress, when you can.
Shop inside 20x24, (there’s also a 8’ cover porch on the back) one story with basicly 11’ 2x6 stud walls
I have two dust collection system, the one in the picture. I Also have a smaller one that has three 2” ports on it, kinda the same design with the cloth bag on top and plastic bag on bottom. I have a air cleaner thing that came with the lot of wood working equipment. I plugged it in and tried to turn it on but nothing. Sent it on to storage, hoping between these three pieces I will be able to keep a handle on dust.

Vent outside! What does that mean? I haven’t heard of that before and sure didn’t plan for it. But I still have a little time before Hardie board goes up.

As of today I was planning on using this wall for storage. The big opening is for heating and AC unit. I do have “dry” storage under the back porch.

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpeg
    IMG_0129.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7208.jpeg
    IMG_7208.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7207.jpeg
    IMG_7207.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg