Grandfather Clock: Finished!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
While I do have a few teaks remaining, for all intends and purposes I am delighted to report that the clock is finished. It has taken me much longer than I had anticipated, but all things considered, I am pleased. To be honest, this is one of those projects that should be done twice...I have no plans to do so, but I learned so much and made so many mistakes during the build, I am confident I could do a better job the second time around. As for the clock, it is made of cherry, and the movement is a Hermle (1171-850). As to the finish I started by applying Danish Oil (Dark Walnut) and then, if you are familiar with Jim Creasman's post about his Queen Anne Desk (Jim is an extraordinary craftsman), I used the products he used (Seal-Lac and Royal Lac) well as followed his schedule. Given the clock's surface complexity I knew I wanted to use products that could be sprayed with my Earlex 5500. I need to also acknowledge the encouragement and support I received from various members of the NCWW group, especially Phil S. Although I have a midi lathe I am by no means a turner. When I initially turned the clock's columns, I sent Phil a pic and hoped he would reply with a "thumbs-up"...instead he suggested that the columns needed a bit more effort. Knowing my turning tool collection is relatively modest, he came by with about a dozen different gouges and skews as well as a training session! I am grateful because what you see is far superior to my initial work! He also created a scratch-stock profile for the inside curve of the glass door.

In the interest of full-disclosure, I must confess that the clock and I had an accident when I was standing on a two-step ladder sanding the top. I am not sure exactly how it happened but all of a sudden the ladder went one way and the clock and I went in other directions! As I was on the floor contemplating what hurt, I realized the clock had fallen. I spent the next 45 minutes trying to fix the damaged areas. When I went to take a shower I realized the I was tracking blood all over our bathroom. To make a long story short, I went to the emergency room and had five stitches put in my right heel! I have be one of the very few people in the history of clock-building that cut their foot while building a clock! As for the clock, it did sustain some damage to the top, but I was able to make passable repairs.

Thank you for looking!

5ED975B7-CF09-48BA-9C00-2B97C5C934E5.jpeg
C1CBAAD0-5F9B-48BF-B0B6-0C86D3FB2266.jpeg
028CD7CB-0F91-4E52-AC2E-D0163F33D8CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Wow, you made that cherry look amazing! Nice work, glad to hear both you and the clock survived the fall. That had to be scary.

Reactions: drw

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That looks fantastic. I have always wanted to build a clock. I never had the space, money, skills, equipment, or time to commit. You did a great job even if there were bumps in the road.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
That looks awesome Donn! Love the attention to the grain patterns and the way the finish brought them out. I too want to know how you tackled the curved moldings.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
This turned out beautiful Don! I've been looking forward to seeing the finished product. Stunning!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow, very nice! Could you explain how you did the curved mounding?
DrBob, the moulding and turnings were major concerns of mine when I started the project, as a consequence one of the very first things I did was make the bonnet moulding. The plan I followed has its limitations, but it did have a full sized drawing for top moulding and turnings (since my lathe is a midi I didn't follow the turning dimensions). I used that drawing to create templates on 1/2" plywood (picture below). The bonnet is 2.5" inches thick (front to back) and 2" wide (top to bottom). The overall thickness is the result of a .75" backer board and the moulding which consists of two 7/8" stock laminated together. The bottom piece is 7/8" thick and 2' wide, the top is 7/8' thick and 1.5" wide. Once these were cut the bottom was profiled with a cove bit and the top a round over bit.
974422C3-FB78-4AF2-AE60-635DA0522264.jpeg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Been wanting to build one for a long time. You may have inspired me.
Your were just a month late for the contest. A very nice piece, to be sure.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS