Framing Hammer old vs new- mini rant

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Mini Rant-

One of the things I find odd on the jobsite is the affinity for peoples' attraction to buying expensive titanium head hammers. The hammer is north of 200 bucks, it neck and head is usually a California framer style which limits reach in stud pockets, etc. Worst yet- they buy this expensive and still cannot hit a nail..............

The oddest thing to me is most do not realize titanium is a poor striking /impact metal and it deforms pretty fast compared to traditional tool type steel o-2 or w-2 steel. So they really do not last like my Plumb or say a Vaughan. I traditionally set up the hammer by removing the lacquer and then treating with BLO, then wrap the top and bottom with rubber tape and then add the elec tape to secure. This extends the hammer handle quite a bit limiting the damage from over strikes, etc. The handle seen is the 4th or 5th, do not remember at this point. The head was rechecked in 1988, so probably not a 22 oz more like 21oz .

Here is is the latest hammer I bought, mostly because it mimic's my 1979 Plumb framer (except for the sq-head) and the main reason I bought it was the head weight was 10 oz ?!

Swinging this is like swinging a flyswatter, but hey for 12 bucks (inc shipping) why not ........ funny they actually made something like this.

Attachments

• hammers (1).jpg
    hammers (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • hammers (2).jpg
    hammers (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • hammers (3).jpg
    hammers (3).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Totally agree, Casey. My dad was a carpenter. When I went to work for him I bought a Bluegrass hammer b/c that was the brand he used. I've had that hammer for almost 50 years now. It's on the second handle (ash) and is still as solid as the day it was bought. Wood (ash or hickory) is the best handle IMHO since the natural spring relieves the stress on your wrist and arm of driving hundreds of nails in a day. Metal handles are the worst. Of course, none of this can solve the basic problem of using a hammer -- you gotta be able to hit the nail. Lol...

Reactions: Oka

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Casey, I’m still using the Bluegrass hammer I purchased in 1978. I think I paid a grand total of 15dollars for it, if that much, I can’t remember. A couple of months back I was training a young man who told me he paid 200.00 for his hammer and he wasn’t afraid to spend money on good tools. You know it operated and preformed almost as good as my old hammer. Of course I sent him to find something for me and I haven’t seen him any more. I wonder where he went. Oh well the jobs complete now.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Both of you .......... totally agree. It is comical to see all the prep someone goes through just to shoot in 40 or 50 nails. Even though I am a manager now, there are times when I see this and go out there and hammer it in while they get all prepped up. Then, they come back only to find it is done and are pissed and start looking for the person who invaded their work....they never consider looking at me, the manager.... God I love being old school ....... too much fun

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I was a die hard hickory handle guy but pretty much converted to Eastwing. The blue stuff does a decent isolation job. For some reason, they don't transmit the shock like tube or other steel handles.

Our "magic hammer" got stolen. It was just a Vaughan I think, maybe Plumb, circa 1930 or so, but it was left-handed. YES, left handed. My grandfather was left handed and he used it for decades so the crown was slightly off-center. Hit a nail right-handed and it would bend, but if you needed to get that hard to reach in the corner left-handed, it was magic. I also love my little leather handle Eastwing 12 Oz for light work. Don't need the shock absorbing of the blue handles. Never got a long framing hammer as swinging a 20oz hammer is enough for me to fire up the compressor.

Then there are cheap cast hammers. I was amazed how useless they are when my neighbor and I were putting up a cedar fence. My old Plumb droves the nails. His bounced off. Both 16 Oz.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I never owned a checkered face hammer. But what I did do is rub the face on a concrete block from time to time to give it a scratched, or 'honed' texture. Over time, the face would become slick and not stick to the nail, glancing off. I was flustered about this one day and an old carpenter on the job showed me that trick. I've used it ever since. And I never saw the need for more than a 20 ounce hammer either. Nowadays, I see framers with hammers in their belts and the handle almost drags the ground. But then again, if the air compressor goes down, they go home. o_Oo_O

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Plumb in fiberglass, and Vaughn in wood are my choices. Several years back, grandson spent the better part of a summer helping build a hand-cap ramp for church next door. Most nailing was done with a nail gun. That fall at school in Ag-Mechanics course, instructor said they were going to practice nailing. Grandson asked, "Where is the nail gun?"

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Casey, I’m still using the Bluegrass hammer I purchased in 1978. I think I paid a grand total of 15dollars for it, if that much, I can’t remember. A couple of months back I was training a young man who told me he paid 200.00 for his hammer and he wasn’t afraid to spend money on good tools. You know it operated and preformed almost as good as my old hammer. Of course I sent him to find something for me and I haven’t seen him any more. I wonder where he went. Oh well the jobs complete now.
You didn't send him after the board stretcher, did you?

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I have a big 22 oz Estwing framer, but I regret getting it with the waffle face. As a DIY'er, the length and weight made it good for demo. I keep thinking eventually I'll get around to grinding it flat.

With Estwings you need to be careful to avoid one that rings too much.

-Mark

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I have a big 22 oz Estwing framer, but I regret getting it with the waffle face. As a DIY'er, the length and weight made it good for demo. I keep thinking eventually I'll get around to grinding it flat.

With Estwings you need to be careful to avoid one that rings too much.

-Mark

I've had Estwings all my life. Recently, my son grabbed my leather hammer and left it on the exhaust manifold of his car. If you look at the album address above you can see the process. To keep thisns simple, I have never had vibration troubles with the Estwing and I think it is an overstated problem. I use the 20oz for big nails and the 16oz for the shop. Others have said it: wooden handles are greatl and easy to repair.
Biggest problem I had with my hammer was letting others use it. Live and learn

Dan

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have had a 22 oz Eastwing for a long time and love it. That said, I tried a titanium on a Habitat project and greatly appreciated how much lighter it was and that it had less recoil on impact.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I still have my father's Bluegrass hammer that was purchased in the 40's. It's driven well over a million nails. He was old school and never owned a nail gun. Still going strong.

It was his second Bluegrass hammer. The first one had some damage to the claws b/c he was using them to break off cut nails from concrete after the forms were removed -- hardened nails against less-hardened claws. A salesman for Bluegrass happened to see the hammer when he was in the hardware store and asked what had happened. When dad explained that it was his fault for using it to break off the nails, the salesman responded by giving him a brand new Bluegrass hammer. As the salesman stated, "Bluegrass tools are guaranteed for life."

You can still find Bluegrass hammers at vintage tool meets and estate sales. The cost is usually much less than a brand new hammer at the big box stores. I'd go with an old Bluegrass over a new one.

peltona

Andrew
User
What's a hammer? Is that like a manual nail gun? Just kidding, I've got dozens of them thumb detectors and can't hit a nail to save my life. You can tell where I've been because each sunken nail head is surrounded by a beautiful flower pattern performed by a true craftsman. Anyone can hit a nail but can you miss it evenly on all sides??? I'm unfortunately from a generation where screws were king.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Mini Rant-

One of the things I find odd on the jobsite is the affinity for peoples' attraction to buying expensive titanium head hammers. The hammer is north of 200 bucks, it neck and head is usually a California framer style which limits reach in stud pockets, etc. Worst yet- they buy this expensive and still cannot hit a nail..............

The oddest thing to me is most do not realize titanium is a poor striking /impact metal and it deforms pretty fast compared to traditional tool type steel o-2 or w-2 steel. So they really do not last like my Plumb or say a Vaughan. I traditionally set up the hammer by removing the lacquer and then treating with BLO, then wrap the top and bottom with rubber tape and then add the elec tape to secure. This extends the hammer handle quite a bit limiting the damage from over strikes, etc. The handle seen is the 4th or 5th, do not remember at this point. The head was rechecked in 1988, so probably not a 22 oz more like 21oz .

Here is is the latest hammer I bought, mostly because it mimic's my 1979 Plumb framer (except for the sq-head) and the main reason I bought it was the head weight was 10 oz ?!

Swinging this is like swinging a flyswatter, but hey for 12 bucks (inc shipping) why not ........ funny they actually made something like this.
I'll stick with my Hart framing hammer. I love wooden handles, and the hammer is perfectly balanced for me.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
When I wanted a larger hammer I went to HD and checked out their selections. I won't mention the brand but one of their fiberglass handled hammer models had the head mounted at a slight angle to the handle. Every one I looked at was like that.

Roy G

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
When I wanted a larger hammer I went to HD and checked out their selections. I won't mention the brand but one of their fiberglass handled hammer models had the head mounted at a slight angle to the handle. Every one I looked at was like that.

Roy G
So were you looking at the right-handed or left handed models? :cool::D

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS