Dust collection connectors

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have one of the Woodtek 4 bag dust collectors, with 3 4" inlets. When I put this in my shop, I did not envision it becoming hard to get to. I keep telling myself I will be moving it someday and running some PVC piping for my major tools. In the meantime, I just move a 20' flex hose between the tools by loosening/tightening the hose clamp. I saw this video from Izzy Swan over the weekend and have purchased some of these hose connectors from Magswitch, who now manufactures these. I'll give a review once I have them and have used them for a bit.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Tightening a breeze clamp gets old really quick. I made a similar adapter based on the Magport idea, which uses magnets. The quicklock system appears to be much more robust, and I'd expect the seal to be pretty tight. Let me know how it works out!

Echd

C
User
20210723_191134.jpg

I also did similar on mine.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did receive these before Christmas, and installed them today. Shipping was slow, maybe due to Christmas, maybe due to the video that Izzy Swan (inventor) put out. That aside, the fit and finish is better than I expected.

The dust port on my SawStop was smaller than the tool port, so I had to wrap tape around a few times to get the desired fit without losing suction.

One small complaint. The tool port uses set screws to dig into the port on the tool, but the required Allen wrench was not included with any of the pieces I received. I was fortunate to have one (small metric) to complete the task.

Next step is to relocate my dust collector, which is a task I have been needing to do for a couple of years.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I have seen people making versions of these with plastic printers and others out of wood.
Below is a short video of what I think was one of the original conceptions. In the video he making them by hand one at a time.

Are you happy with them Neal?

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm happy with my purchase. I'm still going to run some PVC to have some collection for the other side of the shop, but where I have my TS, BS, & sander, this will speed up the hose swaps (not that I am a production shop).

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Tightening a breeze clamp gets old really quick. I made a similar adapter based on the Magport idea, which uses magnets. The quicklock system appears to be much more robust, and I'd expect the seal to be pretty tight. Let me know how it works out!

Bas, how do you register yours since they are perfectly round? Are the magnets strong enough that they just align on their own?
Also is that a white pvc plumbing fitting or something else that you used for the connectors?
Thanks

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is one of the products I ordered:

In addition to this, I ordered additional tool plates kits.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas, how do you register yours since they are perfectly round? Are the magnets strong enough that they just align on their own?
Also is that a white pvc plumbing fitting or something else that you used for the connectors?
Thanks
The magnets are strong enough to align the two parts, as soon as I get them within 1/2" of each other physics take over. I designed and printed the fittings using my 3D printer. If you've ever been frustrated with dust collection fittings being just too small or too large, i.e., you're a woodworker, a 3D printer provides a lot of solutions. Of course, you're trading one set of frustrations for another...

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
The magnets are strong enough to align the two parts, as soon as I get them within 1/2" of each other physics take over. I designed and printed the fittings using my 3D printer. If you've ever been frustrated with dust collection fittings being just too small or too large, i.e., you're a woodworker, a 3D printer provides a lot of solutions. Of course, you're trading one set of frustrations for another...
SendCutSendNot if you farm out the 3d printing.... There are options out there. Izzy recently shared one service, SendCutSend.com. , for Lazer cut parts

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
your hose must have a better fit than mine. If not clamped, it falls off

skiz2331

Mike
User
I have a tapered female fitting on my flex hose and it seems to fit snug onto any 3 7/8" to 4 1/8 port. But the magnet idea is slick.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have wanted the Izzy version, but just too cheap to spend $60 on a DC connection!
After Neil's post - I was reminded of another version and I ordered one of them:

Update after I receive it...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS