Double Sided Woodworking Tape

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
Is there any preference on this? I've seen 3M 468 recommended for acrylic or leather patches. I've struggled with Gorilla glue and wood glue as it can bleed out so I was looking for something better and found different recommendations.

Is XFasten worthy? That's what shows up first in my search on Amazon. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Echd

C
User
I have used the xfasten. When I use double sided tape it's almost always for cnc hold down purposes, which is fairly intensive. I did not have good results from the xfasten, and parts could be knocked off from basic milling operations at low rates very easily.

I used the blue tape and superglue method before trying xfasten and I went right back to it afterward.

Depending on your use case it might be perfectly fine for you.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I actually don't love the xfasten tape. I mostly use double sided tape for routing using templates. I find that the tape is almost too sticky - it's tough to cut with scissors and the cloth backing isn't stiff enough. I prefer the paper-backed tapes, instead.

ArtVandelay

David
User
I actually don't love the xfasten tape. I mostly use double sided tape for routing using templates. I find that the tape is almost too sticky - it's tough to cut with scissors and the cloth backing isn't stiff enough. I prefer the paper-backed tapes, instead.
Xfasten makes a version that is not fabric backed that is thinner and less sticky. I keep both depending on what I'm doing. Amazon.com

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Xfasten makes a version that is not fabric backed that is thinner and less sticky. I keep both depending on what I'm doing. Amazon.com
Thanks for the heads up on that. I've been looking for an excuse to quit using the almost 3 rolls of the cloth-backed xfasten tape taking up space in my cabinet. Happy to have a replacement. If anyone is in Durham and wants them, they're yours.

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
I have used the xfasten. When I use double sided tape it's almost always for cnc hold down purposes, which is fairly intensive. I did not have good results from the xfasten, and parts could be knocked off from basic milling operations at low rates very easily.

I used the blue tape and superglue method before trying xfasten and I went right back to it afterward.

Depending on your use case it might be perfectly fine for you.
Thank you for sharing. I'm new to so much of this and appreciate everyone's experience using stuff.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Intertape 591, it’s fairly expensive but it has a paper backing that comes off easily. I usually will go cheap even if it means I have to take extra time. However, for me it’s worth the time savings to have a backing that comes off quick and easy.

Scott H

Scott
User
I have been using intertape 591 also and it seems good to me. Although I will often use the superglue and blue tape trick.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
XFasten, too.

Do not use carpet tape. I don’t recommend carpet tape. It will shift and it is a pain to remove if stuck very long and leaves a residue.

There are two kinds of XFasten. I use both, but mostly the woodworking tape. It is thicker but I think it sticks better than the thinner tape. I mainly use it for attaching wood to templates for routing.

Woodworking tape say residue free, but not always. It will also remove the outer layer of MDF or hardboard. Not a big deal most of the time. If you leave something stuck together a few days they can be a bear to separate.

When I want a permanent bind I use Fast Cap Speed Tape.

IMG_0930.jpeg
IMG_0929.jpeg

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use FastCap double sided tape and I like it. It is kind of like two sides of glue separated by a very thin plastic layer. It is hard to peel the release paper off but it sticks well and if you separate the parts within a few minutes they will come apart. I've used it a lot for routing chair parts from a plywood template. It has taken a piece off the plywood before but it usually releases better than that. The parts do not shift while I am routing them. I've recently started using it to permanently apply a synthetic rubber piece to gunstocks buttplate. None have moved but I assume that I would take wood away if I tried to remove the rubber at this point. If you want something that holds well, FastCap may be what you want.

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
Berta - I’m not familiar with Dunhams. Available at several places on line . Amazon.com
I think Dunham's is the Academy Sports store in smaller markets. My ex used to go there and he was up in Gretna VA. A tiny town between Lynchburg and Danville. Maybe Dunham's was in Lynchburg. It's been awhile.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Dunham's resembles a smaller version of Dicks, but also sells guns, ammo and hunting supplies. Some archery, but limited, at least here. They are good for providing coupons on a lot of items.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS