Do CNC's use .stl files?

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
I know nothing about using a cnc for wood. Can I design a project in Solidworks, then export the file as a .stl to make parts? Or do I need a software specifically tailored to wood cutting CNC's?

Future projects may include signs, cutting out silhouettes of state shapes ( in 3/4" thick maple) long handed shoe horns, just to name a few.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
CNCs, like most computer controlled machines, are driven by g-code.
You'll need an intermediary software package to convert CAD files (.dxf, .dwg, .stl, etc.) into the g-code. Along with your specific design, the intermediary software will have an output module that "knows" about your specific machine (such as max X, max Y, any specific non-standard traits, maximum accelerations, velocities, etc.). You also need to tell the intermediary how you want to set up the job - where is x=0, y= 0, z=0, etc. Many hobby CNCers use VCarve or VCarve pro for that. They also do rudimentary CAD. Aspire is their big brother that does much more CAD.

Your specific CNC may have a software translator included that does the translation.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
An STL file was initially designed for use in stereolithography machines (now known as 3D printers) They are tessellated files of solid geometry , imagine a 3D surface made up of thousands or maybe millions of triangles. It has become the standard for import of 3D geometry into softwares like Vectric to put cutter paths on. It does however have its limitations. The true industry standard for machining smooth surfaces is an .IGS (IGES as its formally known, Intl graphics exchange system) or .STP ( or Step) files. These are more accurate representations of real mathematically driven smooth surfaces, many made up of NURBS (non uniform rational B Spline ) surfaces. These are used with CNC machines typically cutting metal , milling and EDM machines ,etc that require demanding and exacting surfaces like auto body , etc.
STL files are quite crude when it comes to 3D surfaces since they are triangular representations as I mentioned above, but the tolerances and triangle sizes can be tightened to replicate a "real, original" surface for a CNC router. Generally, good enough for machining wood and the mechanical limitations of CNC routers.
Depending on what youre cutting on your CNC, 3D free form surfaces or 2D flat parts, you may or may not use a STL file. For 3D surfaces, sure, but flat work a .DXF (data exchange format) file of 2D lines is all that is required to run tool paths on.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS