Chevalet Construction: American Period Furniture journal by Jim Creasman

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
The Society of American Period Furniture Makers just published their yearly journal.
Jim along with 2 other associates has a very detailed article on the construction of a chevalet.
"If you are serious about marquetry, you need a chevalet."

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I've wanted one since I saw Patrick Edwards' presentation at the symposium in Winston-Salem.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
My part in this article is to describe how to make the metal parts that you can't find in the store. Dave Clark writes the bulk of the article, with step-by-step instructions on the woodworking involved. He has been selling chevalet kits for a number of years but has decided to stop production. Most of the chevalets at Patrick's school come from Dave's kits. Patrick Edwards rounds out the article with some basic information on how to size, setup, tune and maintain a chevalet.

The motivation for the article was to disseminate this information to a wider audience. Patrick's hope is that woodworkers will continue learning marquetry and using chevalets. I was attending a class while at his school earlier this year and was honored to be offered the chance to contribute. Work on my chevalet has paused while I finish another project. I hope to resume the chevalet build early next year and complete it in the Spring. If there is sufficient interest I can schedule a demo for those in the Raleigh area.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS