Antique repair part

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think this was from the Facebook NCWW group. Just a spindle to duplicate.

As usual I spent too much time mostly because I don’t have a spindle steady and had to turn slowly to avoid whipping.

Overall I think it is pretty close to the 150 year old original.

IMG_4523.jpeg
IMG_4528.jpeg

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Looks great from here, Mike. I made two replacements for the railing in my present home shortly after moving here. They weren't as ornate as yours, and they got painted white, so easier to finish too. I too had to work slowly, since I didn't have a steady either. I'm not very interested in turning, but did manage to make these and they look very close to the originals, so I'm happy. I think they were the last turnings that I've done too.

Charley

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Great work. Its easy to turn what you want to turn, but its never easy when you turn what someone else wants turned. Looks to be a perfect outcome.
I’ve actually had people tell me it’s impossible to copy someone else’s work. Or it’s impossible to make several turnings that match. People have funny ideas when they haven’t tried to actually do the work themselves.

This piece isn’t perfect, I see all the flaws, not enough curve here, too wide a bead there, sanding marks, I see it all. But 90% is fine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS