Special Events in the next 30 days

Nickname
    Richo
    Visit Freq
    1.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Woodworking conference at Colonial Williamsburg

A couple weekends ago I went to the Working Wood in the Eighteenth Century furniture conference at Colonial Williamsburg. Of the 355 that attended this year several folks were from North Carolina. Anyone else on this Forum attend? I didn't recognize any of the names but I don't know everyone on this site either. I worked in the conservation department at Colonial Williamsburg from 2001 to 2010 and knew about this woodworking conference but this year was my first time actually attending. If anyone else on the Forum went I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the conference. Did you find it interesting, educational, entertaining, or a little too much lecturing? There is a chance that no one reading this went but I thought I'd check to see. Again this was my first time attending, I'm a beginner woodworker but I've done furniture conservation for over eighteen years both at Colonial Williamsburg where I was taught and now at Tryon Palace so I'm very familiar with the tools and techniques. I'm just now performing those techniques myself on my own woodworking rather than just repairing work that was done 200 years ago.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (66)
    Visit Freq
    6.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Woodworking conference at Colonial Williamsburg

Well that's one from the past.

I went to the first few and found them to be informative and worth the time. After a few years it was a bit to "lecture" oriented. I did a few presentations and then moved on.

It is not the same with FWW bowing out of the partnership and the relocation away from the DeWitt Gallery is a step back.

After a few years of visiting in January, I went to the 3 day "hands on" conference with the gunsmith trades folks. It was so much better than the lecture stuff I wrote to them and it wasn't in their interest to use that model.

Dan

Nickname
    Richo
    Visit Freq
    1.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by danmart77 View Post
    Well that's one from the past.

I went to the first few and found them to be informative and worth the time. After a few years it was a bit to "lecture" oriented. I did a few presentations and then moved on.

It is not the same with FWW bowing out of the partnership and the relocation away from the DeWitt Gallery is a step back.

After a few years of visiting in January, I went to the 3 day "hands on" conference with the gunsmith trades folks. It was so much better than the lecture stuff I wrote to them and it wasn't in their interest to use that model.

Dan
    I suspected you might respond to this thread. Your comments are exactly what I was curious about. When I worked at CW I attended Antiques Forum just about every year. At this year's Woodworking conference there were several "Antiques Forum" style lectures that were given. At the beginning of one such lecture several participants simply got up and left. I don't blame them. For the cost of the conference you'd think there would be more woodworking interaction and less college-styled lectures. There was also a focus on certain themes that they were obviously trying to drive into us about rather than focusing on the techniques and tools of woodworking. That was my take away but being one that is from museums, and that one in particular, I thought I would be too biased so I wanted to see what others thought.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Woody
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'd go next year Richo, keep me in mind if you go, we could meet up.
    Measure twice... cut once... SCREAM LOUDLY... get another board