Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Beech

I couldn't find American Beech lumber anywhere so I bought 10 bf of European Beech from Woodworkers Source. Tight and straight grain, pretty heavy and the Janka hardness is similar to white oak. It's just a curiosity to me with no intended uses.

https://www.wood-database.com/american-beech/

https://www.wood-database.com/european-beech/

I'll try hand planing a piece to see how it does.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Beech

American Beech is Fagus Grandifolia, while European is Fagus Sylvatica. Same family, but the lumber is different in color and density. There are quite a few cultivars though, so you may have picked up one of a few.

If you are in Pinehurst, welcome to come over and I will give you a couple of boards to play with and I have many offcuts.

3. The following 2 users say Thank You to Willemjm :

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If you are in Pinehurst, welcome to come over and I will give you a couple of boards to play with and I have many offcuts.
    Thank you for the kind offer Willem. I didn't think to ask you if I could get a few boards of your American Beech to play with.

I have enough on hand to satisfy my curiosity and I'm wondering what to make out of some of it rather than just looking at it.

I have 7 S4S boards (4' l x 4" w x 13/16" t) to play with.
    Last edited by Jeff; 01-06-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    HenryW
    Visit Freq
    6.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Capitol City Lumber in Raleigh carries this too. Not exactly local for you, but not on the other side of the state either. Their selection varies and is limited, and so if you wanted anything in any significant quantity, I would call ahead to ask about their inventory levels. Or if you really needed a critical eye on their stock level, I could pop over there to ensure they had what you needed before traveling there (in case you wanted more, or different, beech).
    Henry W
    Prolific creator of sawdust, and sometimes shavings - with the occasional completed project.

6. The following 2 users say Thank You to Henry W :

Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    0.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I quarter sawed a large diameter very clear and clean American beech out there at Jim's. I want to say it was cut 5 & 9/4. I though you grabbed a couple of boards then. You may want to have a look through your stash, might find them? But then again I could be mistaken. He had a lot of people stop by when we we're running my sawmill. If you can't find it in your stash. You may want to ask Jim's wife if you could rummage through his stash. Jim and I stacked it all up in the rafters along with some pretty 8/4 red maple in the open shed just to the right of his shop, where he parked his boat. Say Hi to Jim's wife for me, if you go out there - she's such a sweetheart.
    Last edited by CrealBilly; 01-10-2019 at 12:42 AM.
    #ArmOurTeachers
    #SchoolConsealedCarry

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Well, well, a rare response from you Jeff. Hope all is well in Creal Springs.

I don't recall seeing any Beech at Jim's but I was only there to help out a few times and I only bought about 100bf of red oak at Scott Smiths after it was kiln dried. I was pretty new to woodworking and sawing so I probably wouldn't have recognized beech unless I actually saw you put the log on the 'Mizer.

Quote Originally Posted by CrealBilly View Post
    I quarter sawed a large diameter very clear and clean American beech out there at Jim's. I want to say it was cut 5 & 9/4. I though you grabbed a couple of boards then. You may want to have a look through your stash, might find them? But then again I could be mistaken. He had a lot of people stop by when we we're running my sawmill. If you can't find it in your stash. You may want to ask Jim's wife if you could rummage through his stash. Jim and I stacked it all up in the rafters along with some pretty 8/4 red maple in the open shed just to the right of his shop, where he parked his boat. Say Hi to Jim's wife for me, if you go out there - she's such a sweetheart.
    Last edited by Jeff; 01-10-2019 at 09:15 AM.