DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Good miter saw

Looking to buy a new miter saw. I managed to destroy the blade guard on my 26 yr old Craftsman 8 1/4" slider. and find that parts are few and far between for that model (no blade guards for certain). It has been a phenomenal saw for me in accuracy and capacity (although it won't handle 4" thick lumber). 12" at 90 degrees and 8 1/2 at 45 miter with a depth of cut stop that I have used to rough out dados on 12" wide shelf unit sides). Only a single bevel, it still is the most used corded power tool in my inventory, So am starting my search for a replacement.

So far, it appears to me that a 12" non-slider or 10" slider would meet my needs. Probably will upgrade to dual bevel. I like a lot of features on the DeWalt DW716 12" non slider DW717 10" slider. Have worked so long without the laser light cutting indicator that that is not a necessity, so unsure if the 10" at $100 more is a better choice. (Couldn't find a 10" Dewalt slider without the $200 XLS laser. I also understand dust collection is miserable on most of them)

One thing I have seen in the reviews is that the 12" may be underpowered for a fine tooth blade in 8/4 hardwood. Also have heard 10" is more accurate than 12".

I like the 10" size due to the ability to use table saw blades, and the cheaper cost, but not hard over on it as I have special blades for the current 8" (which are hard to find around here also).

So, looking for some insight from users as to brand and models. Would like it to be used for both construction and furniture type work, although I don't do much crown moulding, etc. Price is a consideration, so anything over $500 would have to magnificent for me to justify it (getting too long in the tooth and am on fixed income).

Appreciate any wisdom you can impart, even if its that I am searching for a Unicorn.

Go
    Last edited by Gofor; 12-30-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    Practicing at practical woodworking

2. The following user says Thank You to Gofor for this useful post:

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Charles (54)
    Visit Freq
    1.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Good miter saw

I don't have extensive experience with a number of brands, but of the few miter saws I have used (a couple of Deltas and a Hitachi SCMS) nothing has compared with my 12" Bosch Axial Glide. I found all the stops and detents 100% accurate out of the box and have not had to adjust it yet. That said, it is possible to deflect the axial arm slightly if you just manhandle it like a gorilla, but if you just "let the tool do the work," it's fine.

It has a simple lockout lever to disable the glide, turning it into a simple compound miter saw if need be. The glide has a tension adjustment, if the smoothness is bothersome because you are used to the resistance of bar slides. And I just made a ZCI with a replaceable insert which should help with accracy and the minimize tear out.

If you shop around it may not blow your budget by much: https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-r...RoC1yQQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by cpw; 12-30-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Addendum
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    -Dave Ramsey

4. The following 2 users say Thank You to cpw :

Board of Directors
    Treasurer
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I was very happy with my DeWalt 12" dual-bevel slider, but I've recently replaced it with a Festool Kepex. Won't look back - bought the Kapex as a refurb for about 3/4 the price of original. Nothing wrong with the DeWalt, the Kapex is just better and has more features.
    I don't believe in Astrology. I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.

"May the grain be with you" - Roy Underhill

6. The following 2 users say Thank You to KenOfCary :

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Reggie
    Visit Freq
    2.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Plus one for the Bosch. I have the 12: Compound Slider and I am very satisfied with it. Plenty of power for anything I throw at it.
    "The American Republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money!" Alex de Tocqueville"

8. The following 2 users say Thank You to JackLeg :

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Mike (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Like Ken, I have a Kapex and have no complaints. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably buy the Bosch. It is a nice saw.

10. The following 2 users say Thank You to patlaw :

Co-Director of Outreach Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Barry
    Visit Freq
    5.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Mark, I have been pleased with a 12" refurbished Hitachi SCMS I bought from Big Sky Tool. They often have great sales and sometimes have "free shipping." My experience with refurbished tools is very good, they have received extra attention from a tech and normally arrive pre-adjusted.
    "Nihil est melius quam vita diligentissima" (Nothing is better than a most diligent life.)
    -James Murray

12. The following 2 users say Thank You to Barry W :

Recovering tool addict Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bas (45)
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I bought the 10" version of the Bosch slider, CM10GD. It's a very nice saw, the glide mechanism is very smooth and the cut quality is great. Mine was not perfect out of the box, but it was fairly simple to get both the vertical and horizontal 90 degrees dialed in.

The main reason for going with the Bosch was the footprint. Unlike regular sliders, the Bosch only needs a standard workbench depth of 24". That's a big plus. Dust collection is OK, not stellar, but I plan to build a box around it to catch most of it. Again, not having the slider bars protrude 184 feet behind the saw makes that a lot easier.

I got mine for exactly $500 from Acme tools when they had their $50 off special for Black Friday. It's currently $550 - slightly over your budget.
    Bas.
    "I don't need it. I just want it."
    How to add a picture to your post

14. The following 2 users say Thank You to Bas :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Woody
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Another vote for Bosch, I have a 3915 10" slider and love it very good power. I went with the 10" for the same reason you stated ability to use blades for multiple machines.
    Measure twice... cut once... SCREAM LOUDLY... get another board

16. The following 2 users say Thank You to Jim M. :

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have not used it but the reviews I have seen of the Delta glide saw are good and rank it with the Bosch. I requires an inch less behind the saw on the bench. I think the price difference is only on the order of $50, however.

What I use is a Hitachi dual bevel non slider. I also have a small radial arm saw but usually use my track saw for cuts beyond the capacity of the Hitachi. I use an Osborne gauge on my table saw a lot too. But for long and/or heavy pieces it is the CMS, RAS, or track saw.

18. The following 2 users say Thank You to JimD :

Nickname
    Pop (78)
    Visit Freq
    4.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

​I have sold and evaluated tools for a good many years. I am not a fan of a slider. The guide rods on most saws are not stable enough to resist side-to-side movement of the head of the saw. I have a 12 in. Bosch dual bevel non slider. It's a very good saw. For larger cuts I use my RAS. NOTE: If you're using a slider or a RAS use a -5 degree blade. It counters the walk-out encountered with normal blades. I didn't know that for all the years I used my RAS until my club had a talk from a blade rep. It made a real difference between holding the saw back and just pulling it into the work.

Pop

20. The following 2 users say Thank You to Pop Golden :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thank you for all the replies so far. I really like the idea of the glide (i.e Bosch, Delta) design but am wary of the large percentage of negative reviews, especially at the price point: It appears you either get a good one, or a bad one with the defect in the glide mechanism that is not correctable. Not sure I want to spend $500+ and get a lemon, with all the return hassles.

It appears that Ridgid MS255SR (10") and R441 (12") get very good reviews and have a pretty nice price point. They also seems to have all the features I want excepting the glide design. Anyone have any experience with one?

Go
    Practicing at practical woodworking

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Roy
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

To make your decision even more difficult, let me bring up track saws. On Youtube, I have seen several videos of using the track saw as a cut off saw. Seems to work fine and can also do rips. Of course, most of the saws are Festool, but several of the above entries give the brand a good rating. i have a Hitachi 8" slider and you do need to check the settings but it gets the job done for me.

Roy G

23. The following 3 users say Thank You to Roy G :

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    3.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by JackLeg View Post
    Plus one for the Bosch. I have the 12: Compound Slider and I am very satisfied with it. Plenty of power for anything I throw at it.

+1 for the Bosch! great saw!

25. The following user says Thank You to chris_goris for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dennis
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'm partial to the smaller diameter blade SCM saws because my use for them is primarily job site related. Having said that, I find I can achieve 98% of the cuts I need to make with it with the advantage that it is much lighter to take out and put back in the truck/gang box at the end of the day. This counts up when you're 66 with back, 1 shoulder, and 1 knee replacement surgery on your med history........
    As for in shop use, a 10" compound miter does the heavy lifting along with a RAS for rough cuts and a couple of table saws set up properly.
    WHAT BOX?

27. The following user says Thank You to Gotcha6 for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    3.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha6 View Post
    I'm partial to the smaller diameter blade SCM saws because my use for them is primarily job site related. Having said that, I find I can achieve 98% of the cuts I need to make with it with the advantage that it is much lighter to take out and put back in the truck/gang box at the end of the day. This counts up when you're 66 with back, 1 shoulder, and 1 knee replacement surgery on your med history........
    As for in shop use, a 10" compound miter does the heavy lifting along with a RAS for rough cuts and a couple of table saws set up properly.

I have the Bosch GCM12SD and it is HEAVY.... I have it mounted to the Bosch folding stand that helps but I cant imagine taking this thing on and off a truck daily.

29. The following 2 users say Thank You to chris_goris :