DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Good miter saw

As for the weight, my current saw has a cast iron base and slide head, weighing in at about 85 lbs. I have it mounted on an older version of the Ridgid MSUV (miter saw utility vehicle which is a table that collapses into a dolley mode for transport), Although heavy, I can wheel it around to the jobs around the house, set it up in the shop or garage, and although not fun, can wrestle it into the back of my pick-up when necessary. I also have a trailer I can wheel it up into. I am not a professional, so very seldom need to take it away from the house. So weight is not a major issue for my situation.

If I get the Bosch, it will mainly sit on a 24" wide workbench in the shop, and be moved to the MSUV only when needed. If I get a slider, it will be on the MSUV and I will pop it up when needed in the shop or otherwise like I do now. Either one will be taller than what I now have, so will be somewhat more of an obstruction when the MSUV is folded into the dolley mode.

I do want the ability to cut 4x lumber, though. That is what I was doing when I destroyed the blade guard on my old one, and the blade guard got trapped between the blade and the work. I was cutting the half lap slots for a replacement mail box post and got in a hurry racing daylight to get the new post made an put up before dark (an unknown someone snapped the old one off at ground level the night before.) Although I might consider another 8' - 8 1/2", I don't want to drop to a 7 1/4". Don't do enough construction type work to warrant having two saws. If I did do a lot of that work, I would probably be looking at the Makitas, or battery powered.

I don't have nor have room for a RAS, although that would definitely change my parameters for a miter saw if I did have one. As for the track saws, I have a 6' and an 8' sled I built for my circular saw, which I use to initially piece out sheet goods. Although this limits me to about 1" thick through cuts, it is pretty accurate. Guess it wouldn't hurt me to upgrade the blades I have for it though so I could use it to establish the side cuts for long dados. My hand router plane makes quick work of cleaning out the trough and I usually use it anyway to ensure I have a full depth flat clean bottom even when I cut dadoes with the TS.

Speaking of blades, any advice on good blades with a -5 degree rake? I haven't used one as I usually pull the slider all the way out, drop the head, and push the blade through the cut, so haven't experienced a problem with climbing. Guess I might have been doing that wrong all along.

Go
    Last edited by Gofor; 01-02-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Practicing at practical woodworking

Nickname
    Pop (78)
    Visit Freq
    4.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Hi Mark, The way you described your slider use by pulling it all the way out & cutting on the return stroke is what has been described to me as correct. On the RAS that might be a good idea, but us old geezers just pull it through the work. Old habits die slow. I know that both Freud & CMT have a -5 blade. I use the Freud. It appears to work well.

Pop

3. The following user says Thank You to Pop Golden for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    3.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Golden View Post
    Hi Mark, The way you described your slider use by pulling it all the way out & cutting on the return stroke is what has been described to me as correct. On the RAS that might be a good idea, but us old geezers just pull it through the work. Old habits die slow. I know that both Freud & CMT have a -5 blade. I use the Freud. It appears to work well.

Pop
    Yes, you should NEVER climb cut with a RAS or one of these Compound miter saws......

5. The following user says Thank You to chris_goris for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dennis
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If you decide to buy a saw that doesn't have a laser blade guide, to to Harbor Freight and get one of the aftermarket devices that takes the place of the blade washer. It uses watch style batteries and is turned on by the centrifugal force of the motor when it begins to rotate. A must for the money.
    WHAT BOX?

7. The following user says Thank You to Gotcha6 for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Charlie (73)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Dewalt has an add on light option that lights up both sides of the blade, showing the exact location of the blade. Works with any blade width. Far superior to any laser IMO.
    Very easy to install. Remove a piece of plastic on top of the handle and replace with light unit. Looks like it came on the saw. Very first class design.
    I am surprised that other manufacturers haven't done the same. (May be patented)?

9. The following 2 users say Thank You to Charlie :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Dewalt has an add on light option that lights up both sides of the blade, showing the exact location of the blade. Works with any blade width. Far superior to any laser IMO.
    Very easy to install. Remove a piece of plastic on top of the handle and replace with light unit. Looks like it came on the saw. Very first class design.
    I am surprised that other manufacturers haven't done the same. (May be patented)?
    The Ridgid saws also have that shadow line LED feature, as well as 70 degree miter capability. I will probably make the 60 mile trip to the Knightdale Home Depot next week to look at those saws. Pretty much have narrowed it down to the DeWalt DW717 (has the light) or the Ridgid R4210. Wish i could find a DW717 to lay hands/eyes on, but seems they are all on-line only at both Home Depot and Lowes. About $100 difference in price, but both within my price range. If I was 10 years younger, I would be raising my price limit, and would probably be looking at a 12", but at 71, don't foresee a heavy workload on whatever I buy nor the need for the 12" capacity.

Go

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Charlie (73)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Go,
    I have the DW717 with the light. Come over and give it a test run. You have been to my shop before, near Lake Wheeler. There are (3) Home Depots and (2) Lowes within 5-6 miles from me.
    Let me know if you would like to come over. Most any day/time works for me.

12. The following user says Thank You to Charlie for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim (71)
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Personally I'm not a fan of laser or shadow lights on a miter saw. While it's a little slower I'd rather just drop the (not running) blade to the cut line to be sure it's exactly where I want it to cut. Slower? Maybe. For construction a laser is probably close enough, but for furniture or picture frames not so much. The lasers tend to be too bright for the marked cut line too. And of course I use stops for repetitive cuts. Just my preferences of course, YMMV.

14. The following user says Thank You to nn4jw for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Donn (69)
    Visit Freq
    5.04 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Go,
    I have the DW717 with the light. Come over and give it a test run. You have been to my shop before, near Lake Wheeler. There are (3) Home Depots and (2) Lowes within 5-6 miles from me.
    Let me know if you would like to come over. Most any day/time works for me.
    Like Charlie, I have the DeWalt with light. I have had it for several years and I have been 100% satisfied. The light is simple, but very effective...based on the light's design, I am not sure if it can ever go out of calibration.
    DRW

16. The following user says Thank You to drw for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Well, DeWalt threw me a curve (a good one?) by doing some major price reductions on their 12" sliders after Christmas, so bought a DWS780 with my Lowes discount. I will start a new thread with my review. I know, I know: I stated I didn't need the capacity, but never said I didn't really want it! LOL

Thanks to everyone for their advice and offers for help. Great bunch of people here, for sure.

Go