Senior User
    Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq
    5.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Best Pricing locations for dust collection piping/hoses

I'm at a point that I want to start running some dust collection tubes/pipes.

I know that I want to run 6" from my 2 HP Grizzly DC as far as I can take it and then break down to 4" as needed. I've read that SD [sewer drainage] pipe may be the least expensive option? Would it be best to go to a plumbing supply or big box, or other suggestions are welcome?

Next concern is the final connections to machines. I have a decent size box from woodcraft [it came with the DC, I bought it used] full of blast gates, and various fittings and connectors.

What flexible hoses do you recommend to attach from the 'hard' pipes to the fittings on the machines?

Feel free to post photos of your set ups to give me ideas on how to run mine. I know to keep the angles on turns a low as possible and minimal.

Machines to be connected:

• Table saw
    • Band Saw
    • Jointer
    • Planer
    • RAS

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Tom
    Visit Freq
    3.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Best Pricing locations for dust collection piping/hoses

I have a 1HP DC and use 3-way split (only use 2 of those), using only 4" flexihose. Someone will be along shortly that can give you pointers.
    The thing that holds up all my woodworking is simply getting started.

3. The following user says Thank You to LeftyTom for this useful post:

Co-director of Outreach Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dirk (63)
    Visit Freq
    6.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

David if you go with the sewer and drain pipe the big box stores will only have up to 4”. Anything larger needs to be bought at a plumbing supply house. If you drop to 4” pvc toward the machine you can get a connector that goes from PVC to flex hose.
    Last edited by golfdad; 01-03-2019 at 06:27 AM.

5. The following user says Thank You to golfdad for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike (59)
    Visit Freq
    6.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

This is exactly what I did. I used the 6" metal ducting (Big box) with adapters to go to 4" sewer piping, with only flex tube at the every end.... I will post a picture a little later today
    Image1775959794298845150.jpgImage2296318211464265114.jpgImage4380355037042779512.jpgImage4895340603121462279.jpg
    Last edited by mquan01; 12-29-2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: adding pictures

7. The following user says Thank You to mquan01 for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Mike (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You might want to buy a variety of reducers and adapters. None of them seems to fit as expected.

9. The following 2 users say Thank You to patlaw :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I ran 4" sewer pipe from my HF 2 h.p. collector 2 splits, longest run about 22'. I used the green pipe from Lowes. Bought all my fittings and flex hose from Klingspors. The whole system connects to 2 router tables, table saw, 2 band saws, 2 lathes, surface sander, planer, jointer, and a floor sweep. Will be extending it to other sanding machines in the near future. There is a separator in line before the DC. I use a large trash can cover from Klingspors on a large Brute trash can making it a 2 stage system. It has never plugged. I recommend checking each blast gate to make sure they close completely before installing. If you want a remote switch be sure to wire the DC circuit with 220v as there are no remotes for 110v that will stand up to the start up draw of the 2 h.p. DC over a short period of time. My $100 Jet remote switch didn't last a year.
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.

11. The following 2 users say Thank You to sawman101 :

User
    Nickname
    Sean
    Visit Freq
    1.33 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'm not sure if it's the "best" price, but I did see 6" SD35 PVC pipe and fittings at Lowes in Garner a few weeks back.

13. The following 2 users say Thank You to Sean McCurdy :

Senior User
    Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq
    5.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McCurdy View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the "best" price, but I did see 6" SD35 PVC pipe and fittings at Lowes in Garner a few weeks back.
    Thanks, I'll check it out there.

Recovering tool addict Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bas (45)
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Your most expensive fitting is going to be the 6" Wye. Everything else (45s, reducers, caps, etc.) is a lot more affordable.

Shipping can add a lot to the cost. Best overall price I've seen online is midlandhardware.com, but it pays to shop around. Jet.com has some good prices as well periodically.
    Lowe's does not have 6" S&D fittings in every store, but if the Garner store has them it's worth a look.
    Bas.
    "I don't need it. I just want it."
    How to add a picture to your post

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    luke
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

David
    I went through this same struggle a few years back and settled on PVC D2729 sewer and drain pipe 6" white...The green 6" is heavier and a little pricier. The green is the SDR 35.
    The local manufacturer is Silver-line in Asheville and Lowes has ordered some for me in the past, although they don't usually carry the 6" size.
    I got the bulk of it from Agri-Supply in Clayton at a pretty good price about 4 years ago, but I see the cost is almost double now of what I paid.
    The fittings are still carried by Lowes....but make sure to test the fit as some of the schedule 40 is a different size from the D2729.
    BTW the connectors are the expensive part of the deal.
    Here is the Silver-line webpage listing the D2729...I think you can contact them for a price estimate, or get Lowes to check it out for you.
    https://www.slpipe.com/product/sewer...lled-end-10-ft
    I really like how easy this pipe is to install and has worked very well for me.
    Last edited by llucas; 01-02-2019 at 11:32 PM.

17. The following user says Thank You to llucas for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    George
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Have you considered using round sheet metal duct?
    It is inexpensive, it light and it will ground any static electricity.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I am starting to think of an installation of a similar size system and did some googling. Bottom line is I think that metal may be a little cheaper if you want to have a primary line in 6 inch. Lowe's shows $35 for a 10 foot stick of sewer and drain pipe 6 inches in diameter. I think it was on Home Depot's website I saw 6 inch metal for $11 for 5 feet. I checked wyes (including 6x6x4 and 6x6x6), 90 degree elbows and reducers. In each case, the metal fitting was a little less than the plastic. I found some fittings cheaper at other websites than the big box prices but didn't check with shipping. For pipe, I think you need a local suppler.

I used small, I think it was 3 inch, metal pipe to get my dryer vent outside. It comes flat and you have to make the connection. It was 5 years ago but my memory is that the first piece was a major pain and the second significantly easier. It probably needs tape over the seam too so that is more time. The PVC would be a little simpler to work with. But a few more dollars. I've had a total PVC setup before with a 1hp DC and it does pick up dust from static. I haven't had a metal tubed setup but I think you could ground it and eliminate that. I saw something where somebody tested air velocity of metal versus PVC and the metal was a little higher. But I don't remember where I saw it.

My tentative decision is to try metal. Big box store seems to be a reasonable way to get it. But it may be worth checking a wholesale plumbing place for the plastic, that might make it cheaper. But it looks like the price isn't going to be that different.

20. The following user says Thank You to JimD for this useful post:

Recovering tool addict Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bas (45)
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

PVC has gone up in price quite a bit over the years. Metal is probably going to be cheaper overall. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the PVC pipe setup I have, but if I were starting from scratch today, I'd probably go metal due to cost.

One issue with metal is that HVAC fittings are all crimped the wrong way - they're meant for air blowing to the registers, not sucking air from the blast gates. Dust can get stuck as a result. I don't know how big of an issue this is in practice, but I know a number of people have changed the crimping to avoid this. Metal also has sharp edges that can cause some nasty cuts.

PVC does attract some dust, but I've not really found it to be an issue. Once a year I vacuum the pipes to get the majority of it. As for static electricity, there's always a plastic hose running from the blast gate to the tool. If your shop is prone to static electricity, you'll probably have issues with the hose even if you're using metal duct work. But metal is probably less prone to a zap. I have zero issues with static electricity in my basement shop, but it's climate controlled.
    Bas.
    "I don't need it. I just want it."
    How to add a picture to your post

22. The following user says Thank You to Bas for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    George
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Use pop rivets to join the duct and the reason for this is the rounded heads will not build up accumulations like screws.
    Seal the job with a roll of aluminum duct closure tape and your done.

Senior User
    Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq
    5.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by mquan01 View Post
    This is exactly what I did. I used the 6" metal ducting (Big box) with adapters to go to 4" sewer piping, with only flex tube at the every end.... I will post a picture a little later today
    Image1775959794298845150.jpgImage2296318211464265114.jpgImage4380355037042779512.jpgImage4895340603121462279.jpg
    Thanks for posting the photos. These are helpful. I'll be looking into the metal ducting as well.