DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Recovery from mistakes

I am near completion of a bedroom set based loosely on the design in Woodsmith 34. I need to finish the 4 drawers for the chest and I'm done. I planned the wood and cut it to size yesterday but didn't feel up to the dovetails. They are just machine cut but the plans call for a 3/16 offset at the top and a 11/16 at the bottom. Both control how deep the drawer goes into the chest and the bottom one gets a cove on the back as a finger pull. I cut the dovetails this morning and figured out I cut all the pieces 6 1/8. The fronts need to be 7 inches. What to do.

I could have pulled more wood off the rack, planned it and cut to size. That would have taken an hour or two (my planner is a lunchbox and has to take little bites). But this piece is stained and for a guest room and I decided glueing on a piece would be OK. I didn't think of it in time but I could have offset the dovetails on the top and glued a 7/8 piece on the bottom. But what I have started is gluing a 3/16 piece to the top and a 11/16 to the bottom. That let me cut all the dovetails normally. All the joints are cut and the first drawer front is in the clamps. I don't have enough clamps of the size I want to use to do them all at once. But next time I go to the shop I will take the first out, glue up the second and probably cut all the dados for the bottoms. Either that visit or the next, I will cut the bottom plywood. So I have three more visits to complete the glueups but can do a little more work each visit.

How do you deal with mistakes? Does it depend on the project? I usually cut the bigger pieces first so I can recycle them into smaller pieces if I make a mistake. I think dealing with mistakes is one of those things you have to learn. In my opinion, some are live with it and others are not.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Lee
    Visit Freq
    4.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Recovery from mistakes

I usually lay down on the shop floor and stare blankly into the ceiling. I then figure out the hardest way to fix it and get back to work. I'm still at the work hard and dumb phase of my woodworking life.

3. The following 4 users say Thank You to Plunkett :

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Plunkett View Post
    I usually lay down on the shop floor and stare blankly into the ceiling. I then figure out the hardest way to fix it and get back to work. I'm still at the work hard and dumb phase of my woodworking life.
    Sounds like a plan to me.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

Senior User
    Nickname
    DrBob
    Visit Freq
    3.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Before throwing something in the burn pile, I think of ways to make call a mistake a "design change".

For example in your case you might consider edging the drawer fronts to create sort of cockbead. A trim like that can turn a ho hum flat drawer front into something with a little interest.

6. The following 2 users say Thank You to Rwe2156 :

User
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    3.48 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

There are no mistakes ... only chances for enhancement.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I glued on the extra pieces, sanded the parts, cut a 1/2 inch chamfer on the top (decorative) and a 1/2 cove on the back of the fronts at the bottom. From the front, the added pieces at the top are part of the chamfer. I just glued up the drawers but I'm running out of steam. I think finish will come tomorrow. I'm staining the outside walnut and might get to that. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. I think the glueup at the bottom will be visible but not objectionable. A glueup for a 7 inch wide piece is not unusual but 4 drawers do not normally have it in the same spot.

The typical user will be one of my kids. Fortunately they like my stuff. Both have a couple bedroom sets in their houses.

Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq
    0.45 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by kserdar View Post
    There are no mistakes ... only chances for enhancement.
    A million dollar words and of course a great piece of advice.. Though these are just a few words but worth millions of value.

PennySaviour.Com

User
    Nickname
    shawn
    Visit Freq
    1.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Rwe2156 View Post
    Before throwing something in the burn pile, I think of ways to make call a mistake a "design change".

For example in your case you might consider edging the drawer fronts to create sort of cockbead. A trim like that can turn a ho hum flat drawer front into something with a little interest.
    True. Many design innovations come from mistakes. Also, they are only mistakes if you don't learn from them.

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Neal (58)
    Visit Freq
    8.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Plunkett View Post
    We must be related!

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Dresser.JPG

I hope this works. I am late attaching a picture but I just attempted to do it. One of the goals of this bedroom set was to clear out some materials from the shop. I used old oak stair treads for 5/4 stock, for instance. Drawers are planned down 1X softwood from closet shelves. I also used some rough sawn 4 quarter oak I've had on hand for over 5 years. I think it came out OK, despite my mistakes and despite my decision to recycle material.

13. The following 2 users say Thank You to JimD :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Fred (61)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Dresser.JPG

I hope this works. I am late attaching a picture but I just attempted to do it. One of the goals of this bedroom set was to clear out some materials from the shop. I used old oak stair treads for 5/4 stock, for instance. Drawers are planned down 1X softwood from closet shelves. I also used some rough sawn 4 quarter oak I've had on hand for over 5 years. I think it came out OK, despite my mistakes and despite my decision to recycle material.
    So... How'd you get that window in the ceiling? And the drawers are all vertical too! Looks good.
    fred p If it ain't broke you aint trying hard enough

15. The following 2 users say Thank You to FredP :

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

It looks darn nice and my picture is oriented correctly. Nice recovery and reuse too!

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Dresser.JPG

17. The following user says Thank You to Jeff for this useful post: