Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Festool) Ad #2

Special Events in the next 30 days

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Blum drawers

  1. #1
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Willemjm's Avatar
    Nickname
    Willem
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    959
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    129
    Classifieds
    0

    Blum drawers

    How do you notch the backs?

    My next adventure....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior User
    DQ
    frankc4113's Avatar
    Nickname
    Frank (77)
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    253
    Visit Freq
    7.04 visits/week
    Threads
    27
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    Not sure of what you are referring to by notching the backs. Are you asking about the drawer back piece that fits into the sides in a dado?

  3. #3
    User
    Nickname
    shawn
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    New Bern, NC
    Posts
    61
    Visit Freq
    1.38 visits/week
    Threads
    9
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    I believe you are referring to the notches in the drawer back at the bottom corners to allow the blum motion glides to pass through. I usually use a dado blade.

  4. #4
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Willemjm's Avatar
    Nickname
    Willem
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    959
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    129
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    I believe you are referring to the notches in the drawer back at the bottom corners to allow the blum motion glides to pass through. I usually use a dado blade.
    Yep thanks. That would be four passes and two fence settings per drawer to get the 1 3/8” notch for the Blum slide.

  5. #5
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    JohnnyR's Avatar
    Nickname
    John
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Rolesville, NC
    Posts
    631
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    20
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    Quote Originally Posted by Willemjm View Post
    Yep thanks. That would be four passes and two fence settings per drawer to get the 1 3/8 notch for the Blum slide.
    Stack the backs and dado them before assembly to make quick work.

  6. #6
    Corporate Member
    DQ

    Nickname
    Mark
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    187
    Visit Freq
    3.58 visits/week
    Threads
    18
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    I do it on my table saw. Just set the blade height and treat it like a short dado.

  7. #7
    User
    Nickname
    Bernhard
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rougemont, NC
    Posts
    423
    Visit Freq
    5.92 visits/week
    Threads
    23
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    I do not cut a notch, instead I just raise the saw blade when cutting the dado for the the drawer bottom for the back side. The drawer bottom is then glued/pinned/screwed/or whatever to the back. That method is also described in the Blum instruction pamphlet. Saves a bit of time

    Bernhard

  8. #8
    Senior User
    Nickname
    Lee
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    51
    Visit Freq
    4.81 visits/week
    Threads
    6
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    I've used a dado and also just a pull saw and coping saw. If I had a bunch to do, I would use the dado as mentioned above.

  9. #9
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Willemjm's Avatar
    Nickname
    Willem
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    959
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    129
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
    Stack the backs and dado them before assembly to make quick work.
    I started off that way cutting them on the bandsaw. But it had complications with doing nice dovetail joinery. Almost done with 14 boxes, will give it a shot on both the table saw and the shaper and see how it goes.

  10. #10
    Senior User
    DQ
    Skymaster's Avatar
    Nickname
    Jack (78)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Zebulon, NC
    Posts
    1,885
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    44
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    Willemjm you dont, here is the EZ,bestest way, on the back pc rip them right at the top of the dado. This then allows you to assembler the drawer, then SLIDE THE BOTTOM INTO IT, CUT TO LENGTH, WHICH you can measure b4. that way you can solidly staple the bottom pc onto the back. If that is as clear as mud, either PM or call me 973 945 6686

  11. #11
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Willemjm's Avatar
    Nickname
    Willem
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    959
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    129
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    Quote Originally Posted by Skymaster View Post
    Willemjm you dont, here is the EZ,bestest way, on the back pc rip them right at the top of the dado. This then allows you to assembler the drawer, then SLIDE THE BOTTOM INTO IT, CUT TO LENGTH, WHICH you can measure b4. that way you can solidly staple the bottom pc onto the back. If that is as clear as mud, either PM or call me 973 945 6686
    Sky thanks for the help, yep that is the most productive way to do it. I tried that when setting up for the first drawer. I am using a Leigh Dovetail jig and ripping that back piece leaves the side dovetails hanging alone, looking not so good. I can set up the jig to handle that, but then I need a different setup for the front of the drawer. Doing those extra jig setups adds too many steps. Easier just to notch the back. I’ll post a picture later if that was confusing.

  12. #12
    Senior User
    DQ
    Skymaster's Avatar
    Nickname
    Jack (78)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Zebulon, NC
    Posts
    1,885
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    44
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    Understand completely, I am not worthy of dovetails , therefore I don't run into that problem. Yes I tried, failed many times, gave up. I truly think it is because I do not use solid stock for drawers. Everything I do except for face frames, doors,fronts etc is pre finished ply. dovetails don't seem to take kindly to plywood.Wabbits and glue and staples

    When I did that big notch, I used the protractor head that come with machine, screwed a pc of ply to it,and made a jig to use with a dado blade. I took the dimension to the left side of that notch, setup my fence for it, then made a block that would be positioned between the fence and the piece for the right side of the notch, then just nibbled out the middle. by having that ply, it was a way to solidly hold the part, you could make it tall enuf to clamp to.
    Last edited by Skymaster; 12-14-2018 at 08:25 PM.

  13. #13
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Willemjm's Avatar
    Nickname
    Willem
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    959
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    129
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    Quote Originally Posted by Skymaster View Post
    Understand completely, I am not worthy of dovetails , therefore I don't run into that problem. Yes I tried, failed many times, gave up. I truly think it is because I do not use solid stock for drawers. Everything I do except for face frames, doors,fronts etc is pre finished ply. dovetails don't seem to take kindly to plywood.Wabbits and glue and staples

    When I did that big notch, I used the protractor head that come with machine, screwed a pc of ply to it,and made a jig to use with a dado blade. I took the dimension to the left side of that notch, setup my fence for it, then made a block that would be positioned between the fence and the piece for the right side of the notch, then just nibbled out the middle. by having that ply, it was a way to solidly hold the part, you could make it tall enuf to clamp to.
    Thanks Sky. Yep, dovetails with ply tearout like crazy, unless it is Baltic Birch with a dedicated dovetail machine. Thanks for your input.

  14. #14
    Senior User
    Nickname
    Chuck
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lowgap, NC
    Posts
    17
    Visit Freq
    6.00 visits/week
    Threads
    2
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    I cut mine on a shaper with a 1 1/2 straight cutter after drawers are put together. Raise the cutter up to miss the drawer side and set the fence to the depth to the drawer bottom. Then run all your drawers through on one side. Then you will have to take the cutter off And turn it over, reverse the shaper and do the other side of all your drawers. There is a good video of a guy doing drawers this way on YouTube. Just search for drawer notches on shaper. This is the fastest and cleanest way I have been able to do the notches.

  15. #15
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Willemjm's Avatar
    Nickname
    Willem
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    959
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    129
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Blum drawers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecr1 View Post
    I cut mine on a shaper with a 1 1/2 straight cutter after drawers are put together. Raise the cutter up to miss the drawer side and set the fence to the depth to the drawer bottom. Then run all your drawers through on one side. Then you will have to take the cutter off And turn it over, reverse the shaper and do the other side of all your drawers. There is a good video of a guy doing drawers this way on YouTube. Just search for drawer notches on shaper. This is the fastest and cleanest way I have been able to do the notches.
    Thanks, that was on my mind as I have that cutter. Think I was concerned about possible tearout, but will give it a shot.

Similar Threads

  1. Can anyone use Blum 0mm clip plates?
    By MarkE in forum Where Can I Find, Buy or Sell
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2015, 08:14 PM
  2. Free Blum Tandembox ... stuff
    By MarkE in forum Found for Sale/Hot Deals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 11:02 AM
  3. Did I find a cheaper new Blum undermount?
    By ncguy77 in forum General Woodworking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 12:00 AM
  4. Blum inset hinges
    By RSM in forum General Woodworking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 11:30 AM
  5. Won the Blum Minipress Auction
    By Turtlewood in forum Power Tools and Their Use
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-25-2006, 04:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •