Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Nickname
    Sam
    Visit Freq
    6.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Battery Powered Chain Saws

I have read that chainsaw chaps do not work with electric saws (battery or corded) due to the high torque of electric motors. Any thoughts on this?

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by awldune View Post
    I have read that chainsaw chaps do not work with electric saws (battery or corded) due to the high torque of electric motors. Any thoughts on this?
    You are correct that they are not designed to protect against electric saws. The fibers from the chaps are supposed to jam up the chain as it goes into/around the sprocket, slowing the gas motor or slipping the clutch, thus reducing the torque and stopping the chain. With electric saws, when the chain gets resistance, the amps increase, increasing the torque, possibly enough to pull through and cut the fibers.

I have not seen any actual tests showing if the chaps are of any protection or not, but also have not seen chaps rated for electric saws.

Not sure of the effect of jamming the chain on a Lithium Ion battery powered saw, whether for safety or not. Also don't know if newer electric saws have clutches or over-current protection.

Go
    Last edited by Gofor; 12-08-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    Practicing at practical woodworking

Nickname
    Sam
    Visit Freq
    6.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Gofor View Post
    You are correct that they are not designed to protect against electric saws. The fibers from the chaps are supposed to jam up the chain as it goes into/around the sprocket, slowing the gas motor or slipping the clutch, thus reducing the torque and stopping the chain. With electric saws, when the chain gets resistance, the amps increase, increasing the torque, possibly enough to pull through and cut the fibers.

I have not seen any actual tests showing if the chaps are of any protection or not, but also have not seen chaps rated for electric saws.

Not sure of the effect of jamming the chain on a Lithium Ion battery powered saw, whether for safety or not. Also don't know if newer electric saws have clutches or over-current protection.

Go
    I was more worried about what the saw would do to you than what the chaps would do to the saw

I have a corded electric but I have only used it to prep bowl blanks in the shop. Are electrics less prone to kickback than gas saws? The chain moves much slower on my electric.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jerry (57)
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Are electrics less prone to kickback than gas saws? The chain moves much slower on my electric.
    Less prone? No, as the danger zone is still the danger zone. Less severe? Likely, as most electric saws turn slower.
    "Trials burn away the impurities in one's character & life that good times never do." Jeff Ford

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I was more worried about what the saw would do to you than what the chaps would do to the saw

LOL. I understand. My answer is "I don't know". Haven't found anything on it. I would posit that having chaps would protect your legs, lower torso better than no chaps, but probably wouldn't eliminate injury. Have not heard of anyone getting seriously hurt with electrics, but that could be for a variety of reasons: Lower numbers of electrics; Electrics mainly used in more controlled settings; Electric users maybe being more prone to be cautious; etc.

With the advent of battery power making electric saws more mobile, I think we will be hearing of more injuries as people start using them in more hazardous environments.

I have never used an electric chainsaw, so some of your questions might be better answered by those that have used both.

Go
    Practicing at practical woodworking

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jerry
    Visit Freq
    6.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

What was the deciding factors for you Phil? I am still debating. Jerry
    We make a living by what we get...............We make a life by what we give

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I started buying Ryobi cordless tools when the only battery option was nickel cadmium. The drills worked fine, the circular and reciprocating saw were nearly useless. Then my son got me a couple lithium ion batteries and they completely changed the usefullness of these tools. I use them most of the time even though my corded tools are better. The cordless are just handier.

My cordless bush trimmer also works well, including on limbs up to about 1/2 inch. it does not jamb. I have a very large quantity of bushes that like to grow taller than me (6'2") so it gets used.