DQ
    Nickname
    Scott Smith
    Visit Freq
    1.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: insulated garage doors question

Steve, I have three different (and soon to be four) insulated garage doors here on the farm. When I built my shop 10 years ago, I did a lot of research and ended up sourcing Haas insulated garage doors. These are superior in every way to trying to insulate your own doors.

Haas doors are constructed with gasketing in-between the individual panels, and the panels are similar in construction to structural insulated panels (SIPS). The doors work great! As I recall somewhere around R15 with no drafts coming around them either.

Co-Director of Outreach Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Barry
    Visit Freq
    5.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by mquan01 View Post
    we were lucky enough to get the doors with the built in insulation (aluminum siding on both sides) when we brought the house. It does make a huge improvement when the door is down (100 outside, 75-80 inside).
    I agree with Mike that the professionally insulated doors are very much worth the expense. We have them on our garage and my shop and their effectiveness can be easily felt. Also, the aluminum on both sides looks good and protects the insulation.
    "Nihil est melius quam vita diligentissima" (Nothing is better than a most diligent life.)
    -James Murray

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Mike (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    I did a lot of research and ended up sourcing Haas insulated garage doors.
    Good to know. The people who did my garage door work are dealers for Haas.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    smallboat
    Visit Freq
    6.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Had mine replaced with insulated doors about 10years ago. My shop is below grade basement/garage space so the doors are the only issue with heat exchange. I used to use a heater especially when working with epoxy in the winter. in the summer I would be dripping on my work.
    Now it is comfortable year around. At most a heavy over-shirt in winter and no problems in summer. I don't notice any drafts. All around pleased with the decision.

Nickname
    Charles
    Visit Freq
    1.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Our house had two Kickout Style garage doors that are no longer available. In the basement, there is insufficient Head Room for a 'standard' roll up replacement.

Consequently, I insulated them with the 1" boards sold at Lowes. First time, the white ones with silver foil on one side, then with the green stuff after the chickens pecked the white stuff off! I did replace the one door with an insulated roll up and electric opener (from Lowes) and had to replace the lower insulation panels - chickens again. I moved the old Kick out door to my shop.

I heat my 18 x 20 shop with a propane tubular forced air heater thing by running it for 15 minutes or so with the four ceiling fans on to circulate the air. Then turn the heater ad fans off. That usually lasts me for several hours because I built and insulated the shop as well as any General Contractor might.

As to whether the insulation on the shop door made a difference - yes, though I never measure before and after. The Lowes insulated Garage Door install incorporated the flexible weather stripping on the exterior sides and top. the garage is always colder than teh main house as it is unheated space.