Special Events in the next 30 days

Nickname
    Wes
    Visit Freq
    1.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Dewalt DW735 Helical upgrade

I've had my Dw735 now three years. Changed the knives four times. I finally upgraded to the Byrd helical head. What a huge difference! Quieter and much better finish. Not to mention there's no tearout. A while back there was a thread on this topic and most cringed at the cost of the helical. I say its well worth the cost. If you have the 735 and thought about upgrading, there are two different heads. One-is smaller to allow direct swap out. Two-(my option) is the original diameter however you have to remove and reinstall the knives. In reading the pro's and con's on the two heads, the larger (original) diameter to the Dewalt is the best performing and allows for original depth cuts without altering the depth gauge to compensate. Very easy conversion. Mine took about an hour. If you choose this route be careful to (seat) each knife carefully. I had mine spit 2 on first pass. Fortunately 5 extra knives come with new cutterhead. This conversion has turned this 735 into a very nice planer. I did my Grizzly 6" stand joiner 9 years ago and very glad I did. The real nice thing about these helical heads is, NO KNIFE ADJUSTMENT, better quality of steel and much fewer needs to swap knives or have sharpened. In my opinion, in the long run this is much cheaper. Not bad for a lunchbox planer.
    Last edited by old-delta; 12-02-2018 at 09:59 AM.

2. The following 5 users say Thank You to old-delta :

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Mike (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Dewalt DW735 Helical upgrade

I would love to find a dealer that makes the planer available for purchase with the heads already installed.

Nickname
    Wes
    Visit Freq
    1.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Mike, I changed mine without any issues. It's really simple. The new head comes with everything needed including new bearings which are also a bit better quality than the original. Remember, if you opt for the smaller head you won't have to remove and reinstall knives. It just slides right in. Just remeber this slightly affects the cut depth.
    Here is a video.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5U6vBd8-oI

Quote Originally Posted by patlaw View Post
    I would love to find a dealer that makes the planer available for purchase with the heads already installed.
    Last edited by old-delta; 12-02-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Mike (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by old-delta View Post
    Mike, I changed mine without any issues. It's really simple. The new head comes with everything needed including new bearings which are also a bit better quality than the original. Remember, if you opt for the smaller head you won't have to remove and reinstall knives. It just slides right in. Just remeber this slightly affects the cut depth.
    Here is a video.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5U6vBd8-oI
    That's what I understand. However, my CDO ("OCD" in alphabetical order, as it should be) would cause me to get the larger head. The idea of "spitting knives" is a little concerning.

Nickname
    Wes
    Visit Freq
    1.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I wouldn't be concerned with the knife spitting. Mine was caused by me. I didn't recheck for seating and tightness. If you pay attention it's easy and in my opinion worth it. If you do go this route be sure to wear thick gloves or buy stock in Band-Aid

Quote Originally Posted by patlaw View Post
    That's what I understand. However, my CDO ("OCD" in alphabetical order, as it should be) would cause me to get the larger head. The idea of "spitting knives" is a little concerning.
    Last edited by old-delta; 12-02-2018 at 11:27 AM.