Mike (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Images

Type of Help Needed: Problem
    Where: Main Site

Some images are showing up in posts, as they're supposed to, but others, including mine, are showing up as hyperlinks. What am I doing wrong?

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Scott
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Images

Mike it still fallout from our server move. It is my understanding that the picture size determines if it will show as a picture our a hyperlink. I read in other post you want your picture to be less then 800 x 800. I have not tried it yet.
    Maker of fine saw dust
    Scott

"Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
    - Lou Holtz-

3. The following user says Thank You to ScottM for this useful post:

DQ
    Nickname
    Neal (58)
    Visit Freq
    8.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I think the size that Mike Davis said he had luck with is 800x600, not 800x800.

5. The following user says Thank You to bowman for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Mike (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Does anyone have any information on the ETA for the new server software? I was a member of the Dave Ramsey online forum when their software crashed and burned. They finally got out of the forum business. I'd hate to see the same thing happen here because it would kill the organization.

7. The following user says Thank You to patlaw for this useful post:

DQ
    Nickname
    Ethan (47)
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

No ETA unfortunately, our ability to access the server is extremely limited right now (literally only web-based cPanel and the forum control panel) and that makes it very difficult to really fix much of anything since we really need FTP and SSH command line access to even really try and figure out what mess they have created.

So unfortunately we are still largely in the dark as well. Hopefully Ron (our webmaster) might be able to shed some light as my information is likely more limited than his.

But I suspect we would rather opt for starting over from scratch than just disappearing if the fallout got that bad.

9. The following user says Thank You to ehpoole for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

So unfortunately we are still largely in the dark as well. Hopefully Ron (our webmaster) might be able to shed some light as my information is likely more limited than his.
    Unfortunately, Ron has not answered any of the questions posted by the members or provided any updates from our web server folks about what's happening. I'm sure he has other things on his plate as well so we're still in the dark since the crash.

11. The following user says Thank You to Jeff for this useful post:

DQ
    Nickname
    Scott
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Yes please be patient. As Jeff said Ron is a busy man and does have a lot on his plate. Unlike some of us here, Ron still works for a living. I do know that he has not received much help or support from the hosting company either. Yes it does sound like it is time to change companies but that is not a simple, quick or easy task either. I know he will respond when he has some news to share.
    Maker of fine saw dust
    Scott

"Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
    - Lou Holtz-

13. The following 2 users say Thank You to ScottM :

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Mike (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Is there anything we can do to help? Is there a money shortage? A hosting company without FTP is unheard of. Some are reluctant to provide SSH.

15. The following user says Thank You to patlaw for this useful post:

DQ
    Nickname
    Ethan (47)
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by patlaw View Post
    Is there anything we can do to help? Is there a money shortage? A hosting company without FTP is unheard of. Some are reluctant to provide SSH.
    To be more specific, they have broken many features of our server (and site/filesystem, etc.) — specifically SSH and our ability to access it and pierce the firewall (apf). Since the server uses SFTP (FTP over SSH), breaking SSH also breaks FTP access.

In my experience most hosting companies run with skeleton crews and depend very heavily upon automation, so when they screw things up for most/all their customers they literally struggle to get things fixed because suddenly the problems are very many and the people to resolve them are very few and far between and that is likely what we are caught in the middle of after an unannounced migration went very awry (very, very, awry, in fact). It also makes getting answers very challenging since they are likely very understaffed for such a disaster and good communications is something often only found when there exists an employee for whom that is their primary responsibility (and competence) — but when employees have to wear multiple hats then nobody has primary responsibility for communications.

Or at least that has been my experience with many other hosts over the past 22+ years. None of which helps us much at this moment and the lack of clear communications only adds to the aggravation. But I’ve seen this happen at some point with nearly every host I have ever used over the past 22 years and now it’s happening to RWH. But the part that upsets me the most is that this was an entirely unannounced server migration so we were given absolutely no heads up that things were going to be changed on us and every migration carries the risk of disaster.

With any luck we will hopefully get through this mess and come out for the better in the long run, but it may well take a good deal of time and sweat before we get there.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Mike (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

As I recall we had a discussion a long time ago about the high costs for operating the site. The discussion was part of a fundraiser. If what I remember is correct, and it may not be, we're not a charity case for what we're paying for hosting. There are many companies that provide excellent customer service. It's easy to say this from the outside looking in, but it shouldn't be hard to find a hosting company with good service. Let me know if you need a recommendation. It has already been a long time with a lot of sweat. (I'm not being critical of you, Ron, or anyone in our group. I know it's a tough job. Been there, done that.)

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Alan Schaffter
    Visit Freq
    2.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Is there a backup or mirror that could be used by another hosting company to get everything back to how it was until the current host gets its act together or is fired?