Scott
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Vendor Fair Setup Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Republic View Post

Scott,
    Great looking booth and lots of nice products. Great example for people. Is that all scroll work? Pretty impressive!
    Yes all scroll saw work. No laser, computer or CNC in my shop. A few projects incorporate some simple wood burning too.
    Maker of fine saw dust
    Scott

"Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
    - Lou Holtz-

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    James Davis
    Visit Freq
    7.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thank you all for the advice. I've been busy the past few weeks turning and making preparations (folding table, table cloth, product displays, etc). The show is Saturday and I'll make sure to take some pictures. I think it will be a pretty small show (only about 10 vendors total) but enough to get my feet wet, and hopefully a good turnout. I'm getting about 27 more pen kits in the mail today (that were SUPPOSED to arrive yesterday...), so I'll be furiously turning to get them ready by Saturday! (note: my only shop time is after the kids go to bed, usually 9pm-1am!)

I did sign up for another show the Friday before Christmas. That's looking to be a bigger show, and hopefully will attract some last minute gift shoppers! Again, it was a low vendor fee, so it's no biggie if it falls flat.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    https://www.facebook.com/knottyscot

3. The following 2 users say Thank You to beloitdavisja :

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    James Davis
    Visit Freq
    7.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Post-show update!

First, a thank you to Mike (mquan01) and Raymond for stopping by. Always good to see some NCWW faces.

The overall attendance was a little disappointing, probably even smaller than I expected. The event was 8-12 on Saturday, and it was pretty sparse the whole time. The HOA that hosted is a small neighborhood, and I don't think they did a good job of getting the word out, or marketing it as a holiday sale. Despite that I did pretty well compared to the other vendors. I had one sale near the end that bought 5 of my bowls, which made the bulk of the day's take.

Overall, I think it was a good experience to begin with. Made some money, and it wasn't overwhelming. Got some helpful experience for my next show, which will be later this month on the 21st. I'm expecting that show to be a lot more well attended (put on by a recently opened upscale preschool). I'm probably going to pick up some more displays to keep it a bit more organized.

I had a lot of fun talking to the guy setup next to me during the down time; he sells socks and custom bow ties (tie-my-knot.com) and he had a nice setup. I ended up buying a bow tie for my son, and two pairs of socks for my wife and I.

IMG_3414.JPG
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    https://www.facebook.com/knottyscot

5. The following user says Thank You to beloitdavisja for this useful post:

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chad (64)
    Visit Freq
    6.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

James,

You may want to check out RC Market Days in Spindale about 1 hr and 17 min from the center of Charlotte. You may want to check out Gun shows. The wife and me go to a lot of shows (Gun Shows, Christmas Shows, Craft shows, and most of all Festivals) RC Market Days had a 3 day show in September, the wife and I went and did very well. But the cost of the hotel kill use. but we go the show up to 2 hrs away from home and do very well.. So well we just started Craft shows in Mall in eastern North Carolina. Glad you had fun!!
    Chad

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Daniel
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Congrats on the first one under your belt done! Starting at small shows is good way to go.

Couple things I've learned from many years at shows (just finished our 16th year at Sanderson High School show here in Raleigh) is the smaller elementary school shows and small neighborhood shows (HOA's, clubs, etc.) don't bring in the crowds to really get great sales, but usually are cheap to get into, so might be worth it. For next year, start contacting the PTA's at the area high schools now and ask about their holiday shows. Can be hard to get into (at Sanderson the room I'm in it literally takes someone dieing or aging out to get a space) but worth it. Look for schools that are in high price range housing areas.

Good inventory is key, the fewer things on the table, and people are more likely to pass you by, by the end of day when my table is 95% empty, I am practically begging people to stop and come over and check my table out. And customization is key, the booths that offered custom items why you wait/shop are the ones that were the busiest at the shows I've done this year. So start working on inventory in Jan for fall / winter shows.

And finally, your bowls and pens look good, but are not unique items, if you can find a unique niche item, that people can't get from other vendors, that'll give you a leg up. But just remember, once you've done that, the next year someone will have copied you and it won't be unique anymore.

8. The following 3 users say Thank You to tri4sale :