Special Events in the next 30 days

Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Best Spokeshave for the money

I got my straight Veritas spokeshave I bought a yr ago. I hadnít used until today. I loved it...Now I would like one to use on certain parts of my flutes.Which do you guys like the best for round flute or spindle type work? This would be for removing small amounts and a lil shaping...

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Best Spokeshave for the money

Is this it?

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,41182,44834

I have it too and really like it. I haven't really tried it for round spindles but imagine it will be fine.

3. The following user says Thank You to Jeff for this useful post:

Nickname
    Update your profile with your name
    Visit Freq
    4.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have the Veritas set with the flat, found bottom and curved spoke shaves. I Agree, the flat is awesome. I have never mastered the round back one, just when I have it cutting great, I rotate the angle and it stops cutting or provides tearout. The curved one works great for round parts like spindles. I can get an almost finish ready cut and just need a little light sanding with 320 and 400 grit sandpaper afterward.
    I do not have the low angle that Jeff mentions above. I am sure it is high quality as well.

I have a new Stanley spokeshave and it is terrible. It cuts fins after sharpening but the edge is lost very quickly. I also picked up an old Stanley vintage? And I works good when the Veritas is dull and I do not want to have a sharpening party.

i also picked up an arnant spokeshave at a yard sale for $2. Surprisingly although this is a cheap tool at retail, it is much better than the newer Stanley but not as good as the antique one.

Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds
    Last edited by Flute Maker; 11-07-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (66)
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Flute Maker View Post
    I got my straight Veritas spokeshave I bought a yr ago. I hadn’t used until today. I loved it...Now I would like one to use on certain parts of my flutes.Which do you guys like the best for round flute or spindle type work? This would be for removing small amounts and a lil shaping...
    I have made scrapers that insure I won't tear out a surface when I get down to the delicate phase of shaping long rod shaped wooden objects.

Would post a picture but the Gallery is broken. Some day I guess? Good luck

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Mike, I'm curious how you make your flutes from scratch. Wood selection and species? Where do you start with a blank of some sort that needs an internal hole channel (bored on a lathe or 2 pieces with channels glued up?).

Then the external shaping with a draw knife or spokeshave that you're inquiring about in this thread.

Why do you make flutes, personal use or commissions? I'd look in your Gallery but that devil is still broken after 2 weeks!

Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Jeff the ones I have been making for several yrs are basically rimblown flutes that you blow across the end like you would a coke bottle..It takes a while to catch on to it but there is a large following of these kinds of flutes.I use all kinds of wood..I start with a 1 1/2" square piece 32'" or more longer depending on the key of the flute.I turn it at the ends so I can hole it in my chuck lathe on one end and I have a homemade boring box on the tail stock end with a bearing in it.I use a gundril and bore 1/2 or a little more through the blank and then flip it and bore from the other end .My set up is pretty accurate now after tweaking and playing with it over the yrs.Then I cut a mouthpiece that took me a while to get the best sound from ..the easiest..I started for my own enjoyment and saw a guy playing a piece of black pvc while on a missions trip to Africa.I am starting to make what some call a Native American style flute and the idea of using a spokeshave is just a need on a certain area of the flute.And I just want to experiment and do something differently too....I love the thin shavings as they curl up the other day when I was just messing around....There is a whole more to the this story.! .

9. The following user says Thank You to Flute Maker for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Your "about me" profile said that you made rim blown flutes so I google searched them yesterday and found a lot of information about Native American flutes. So you use an actual gun drill bit (not an auger bit) on your lathe to bore about 16-18" x 1/2" and then flip the blank and repeat from the other end?

Have you learned how to play a rim blown flute over the years? Interesting stuff.

Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Yes I use a gun dril bit..not the auger bit..It is becoming a method used by a lot of makers...Yes I have learned to play but at times I get rusty from not playing often.I don’t play like to perform..I am starting to experiment making Native American flutes.Yes I drill a lil more than 1/2 way flip and repeat...
    Last edited by Flute Maker; 11-10-2018 at 12:53 PM.

12. The following user says Thank You to Flute Maker for this useful post: