Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Matt
    Visit Freq
    5.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Advice Needed on a Dining Room Table Project (Continued)

This is a continuation of an earlier posting as the previous thread has been closed.

I try to write shorter entries, but every once in a while….

My adventure on Saturday was one for the books. I started out in on Friday night loading 48” x 108” walnut table top into the bed of my truck. I wanted to get on the road early on Saturday AM to get up to The Hardwood Store (THS) in Gibsonville to run it through their drum sander. I left the driveway in West End (Near Pinehurst) at 6:35 and pulled into the THS parking lot at 7:50. At 7:55 I realized the door was open and went on in. I was asked if I could be helped and responded “Absolutely, I have a 48” wide table top I would love to run through the drum sander.” I was informed, very apologetically, that they did not have the equipment to accommodate such a large slab. Note: This was my error completely: No one from THS ever represented that they could sand something that wide.

I asked where else I might be able to go, and they suggested that Steve Wall Lumber Co. (SWLC) might be able to help. I then went into THS warehouse and picked out a few pieces of 8/4 black walnut that I needed for the table’s trestle base. By the time I had selected, paid for, and loaded the wood it was about 8:40. I then checked online with my phone and discovered that SWLC did not open until 9:00. I tried to confirm that they sold sanding as a service and if so what were their limitations but was unable to do so online. Being unable to confirm, I waited until 9:00 to call rather than heading that way because it was an additional 55 minutes northwest, which, of course was directly opposite of where I needed to go. It turned out to be a good decision as they do not offer sanding as a service.

So, it is 9:00. I have been at this since 6:30, I have a large slab of wood in the truck that requires sanding, I have no idea where to go. So, what do I do next? I reached out to NCWW friends for help. Thanks to Mike Matthews and Phil Soper I ended up calling Scott Smith. Scott said that he could not sand anything that big but gave me the number for Billy, at Raleigh Reclaimed. I called, and they didn’t open until 10:00. Based on Scott’s recommendation, I took a flier, and drove from the Hardwood Store, in Gibsonville, and arrived at Raleigh Reclaimed in northeast Raleigh at about 10:45.

The good news: They have a drum sander that can accommodate up to 52 inches! The bad news: They were a lot more expensive than the THS. The good news in this case far outweighed the bad news because getting the slab sanded saved me a tremendous amount of finishing work.
    There were two projects for the drum sander ahead of me. While we waited in the queue, Billy gave me a tour of the facility. It is quite impressive, and I would recommend that anyone in the area drop in and familiarize yourself with all of their offerings.

Raleigh Reclaimed Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Raleigh-Rec...9441205444082/

My original plan was to be back home by 9:45, but as it turned out, I didn’t get home until after 2:00. That said, I did get the sanding done saving myself countless hours.

You can see the photos attached to note the progress of the project. The photo labeled Table 6 is of Billy posing next to the slab after it came out of the final pass on the 52” drum sander.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 6 users say Thank You to mpholway :

Senior User
    Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq
    5.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Advice Needed on a Dining Room Table Project (Continued)

I've been to his shop. Very nice and lots of what he calls "Big Boy Toys" lol!

He responded to an ad I ran about 6-7 years ago to take down my old tobacco barn for the lumber. He offered what I thought was way too low a price, but was very friendly and explained his costs. I declined, and started dis-assembly myself some years later, which led to my addiction to woodworking. I'm so glad I didn't take his offer!

Oh, and very nice looking tabletop you have there!
    Last edited by DSWalker; 11-05-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Returning Member
    Nickname
    Frank
    Visit Freq
    0.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Equally impressive as the beautiful tabletop is, must be the size of the dining room that it will fit in!

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Donn (69)
    Visit Freq
    3.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Great story (I love stories with a happy ending) and a great looking tabletop!
    DRW

Board of Directors
    Vice President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Michael (56)
    Visit Freq
    5.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I can't wait to see it in the Dining Room Matt! Looking great!