DQ

Nickname
    Gene
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

New Shop Buid

As retirement approaches I've been thinking about relocating (closer to family) and possibly building a new shop if I can not find a site with an existing shop. Does anybody have a construction estimator handbook or a sq. ft reference for cost of building a home shop?

I'm currently farming dust in a 20' X 20' detached garage with a second floor storage area. I haven't checked but believe I have 100 amp service. I prefer detached.
    Last edited by Dee2; 10-10-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: New Shop Buid

Costs vary widely across the US and within smaller locales. A detached shop is a better option (which you already have).

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    5.04 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: New Shop Buid

Two I've used online are Building Journal and Building Cost.

As soon as you get into professional info, like RSMeans or National Construction Estimator, you have to start answering complex questions about things like labor availability, localized inflation (e.g., Hurricane Florence), and general market temperature that can drive pricing (really overhead and profit) up, something like 20% in the Triangle.

Generally, the more detail you have, the more accurate the pricing will be. At the beginning of design, without any detail, you have to figure as much as 25% contingency for the unknown. Then, as design develops, you whittle this away to zero. (Still leaving 5% for "discoveries" during construction.)

I'd swag the base price of a simple wood-framed, uninsulated, unfinished, slab-on-grade, garage, with a walk-up stair and bonus overhead between $75$100/SF. A couple of hidden costs to consider early are site development and utilities. Driveways and walks, grading, retaining walls, new power service, water, sewer, and phone (internet) can add 10-20%. It just keeps going up from there with a good envelope (insulation, vapor control, and good siding), interior drywall or wood panels, HVAC, dust collection ducting, increased power service, high ceilings or long spans, large double-skinned insulated garage doors, large or good windows, etc.

Alternatively, a pre-manufactured wood shed or metal building can get down to $25/SF as long as you don't expect it to be comfortable in July sun or stand up to September hurricanes. Pole barns start at $10/SF, right?

4. The following 2 users say Thank You to SteveHall :