DQ

Nickname
    Mike (64)
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Refurbishing a Chest of Drawers

As part of my learning journey, I decided to refurbish a chest of drawers we've had for 38 years. Doing so would give me an opportunity to more carefully examine construction techniques that would be useful to me in the future. The drawers didn't close so easily. Some of the dovetail joinery was failing. After gluing and clamping the dovetails, the drawers are solid. However, they didn't open and close as easily as they should, so I investigated and learned that the plastic drawer glides that had been there were long ago deteriorated and gone. Rockler has exact replacements, so I got a pile of them. After I installed them in the carcass, the drawers worked better but not impressively so. Just for grins, I put some Johnson's Paste Wax on the bottoms of the drawer sides that slide across the glides. Wow! These things feel like they have ball bearing drawer slides. That's the first time I've had wax make sure a dramatic difference. Little things for little minds, I guess.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Refurbishing a Chest of Drawers

Good going Mike. Got a few pics of your refurb?

How are you going to "refinish" it beyond the refurb?

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Mike (64)
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Good going Mike. Got a few pics of your refurb?

How are you going to "refinish" it beyond the refurb?
    It's only a mechanical refurb, so no refinishing is necessary. It's not the greatest quality furniture, but it was decent at the time. It should last until I can learn how to make my own. It's not a high priority. I'll take a couple of pictures on the next drawers I do, but it won't be very exciting.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Johnson's is good stuff, I keep it in the shop for the top of the table saw. You may find that paraffin or candle wax lasts longer on the drawers, however.

I am working on a bed at the moment loosely based upon Woodsmith plans (they have plans for the headboard and I made it taller, added a footboard, and will add stretchers so it's a bed, not just a headboard). The companion dresser, which I also plan to make, calls for plastic button glides and center wooden guides. I built one of these for my daughter and wasn't thrilled. I am seriously thinking of just deleting the center guides and buttons and putting in regular side guides of wood and waxing them. I've built several other dressers this way and a kitchen island this way. The drawers do not move like a ball bearing guide but they move plenty easy enough and you gain valuable storage space.

I like wood on wood, in other words. Correctly made very little force is required. My shop drawers are made this way and some have heavy loads in them. They still move easily enough for me.