DQ
    Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    5.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Lessons Learned from Hurricane Florence

Just a small update on my flooded workshop. Got about 10" of White Oak River in my workshop a few weeks ago courtesy of FLORENCE .

Lesson # 1: When it comes to paneling...screw it to the studs!!! It's easier to remodel/make changes if necessary. Fortunately I only used a nail gun on the two end walls.

Lesson # 2: Use foam insulation if possible. Can we say wiki-wiki-wiki... recently insulated with pink glass...it wicks water!!! Anyway, no sense getting upset over spilled milk so I'm in the process of removing the the knotty barn-side paneling from the interior walls and cutting/removing the lower 24 inches of wet insulation. I am replacing the void areas with Bora-Foam insulation in case any of Florence's relatives visit in the future.

Lesson # 3: Buy flood insurance! I used to have it but we were told we no longer needed it since it since we didn't flood during hurricane Floyd and it being the 500 yr flood, bla, bla, bla. Well, we were blessed only to have our crawl space flooded with Florence but you can rest assured that we are getting flood insurance. Never can tell when the 700 or 1000 year storm might show up.

Lesson # 4: I'm not as fast, productive, strong, flexible, as I once was...and the list goes on
    Last edited by LocoWoodWork; 10-09-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    ďA society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in".

2. The following 5 users say Thank You to LocoWoodWork :

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Daniel
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Lessons Learned from Hurricane Florence

Quote Originally Posted by LocoWoodWork View Post
    Just a small update on my flooded workshop. Got about 10" of White Oak River in my workshop a few weeks ago courtesy of FLORENCE .

Lesson # 1: When it comes to paneling...screw it to the studs!!! It's easier to remodel/make changes if necessary. Fortunately I only used a nail gun on the two end walls.

Lesson # 2: Use foam insulation if possible. Can we say wiki-wiki-wiki... recently insulated with pink glass...it wicks water!!! Anyway, no sense getting upset over spilled milk so I'm in the process of removing the the knotty barn-side paneling from the interior walls and cutting/removing the lower 24 inches of wet insulation. I am replacing the void areas with Bora-Foam insulation in case any of Florence's relatives visit in the future.

Lesson # 3: Buy flood insurance! I used to have it but we were told we no longer needed it since it since we didn't flood during hurricane Floyd and it being the 500 yr flood, bla, bla, bla. Well, we were blessed only to have our crawl space flooded with Florence but you can rest assured that we are getting flood insurance. Never can tell when the 700 or 1000 year storm might show up.

Lesson # 4: I'm not as fast, productive, strong, flexible, as I once was...and the list goes on
    One thing to remember is that a 500 year flood area does not mean that it will flood once every 500 years, it means that there is a .2% change of a flood each year, and a 100 year flood plain area has a 1% chance of flood every year. And I think a lot of areas will be seeing changes in their classification of flood zones, with many flood areas expanding.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

My garage shop has taken on a few inches of water a couple times. It happened because the house and garage are below the street level, there was construction across the street increasing runoff, and the road was not properly sloped towards the drain. I literally got a little river of runoff coming down the driveway and the drain couldn't handle it. The road is now paved and properly sloped and I have not had any problem.

But my bottom 18 inches of both my shop and car garage are brick. Flooding damaged some stuff we had in boxes on the floor and raised the humidity enough in my shop to cause some rusting of tools, but it was not a structural problem at all.

This spring, for multiple reasons, I had the underside of my first floor insulated with closed cell foam. Most of it was uninsulated and the little bit of fiberglass that was there was removed by the closed cell contractor. I paid more to get closed cell both because it is a better insulator and because it does not hold water. I doubt I will ever have water in the crawl space but if it happens, the insulation will not hold it making things worse.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Richard
    Visit Freq
    5.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by tri4sale View Post
    One thing to remember is that a 500 year flood area does not mean that it will flood once every 500 years, it means that there is a .2% change of a flood each year, and a 100 year flood plain area has a 1% chance of flood every year. And I think a lot of areas will be seeing changes in their classification of flood zones, with many flood areas expanding.
    It's also worthwhile to note that 500 and 1k year floods are based on statistical models that most always don't actually include DATA from a 500 or 1000 year flood... they just look at peak flows in the short record they have available, and make a best guess about the probability of events more extreme than observed. For instance, look at this graph of peak discharge vs. flood return interval... you'll note that the most intense storm that they have data for is a 250y flood... to guess the flow rate of a 1000 year flood, they just follow that trend line up, literally off of the chart. These methods work pretty well, mind you, but become more and more uncertain depending on how far outside the available data you need to extrapolate.

Also, this method assumes historic climate regimes. Climate change is making our planet hotter and making storms more intense, so models based on historic data are almost certainly underestimating flooding risk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You can find your location around Maysville by typing in your address in the search box. Most of Maysville is not in a Flood Plain but I don't know about this 100 year or 500 year flood hocus-pocus.

https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search#searchresultsanchor

https://flood.nc.gov/ncflood/

BTW, Florence was an extremely slow moving hurricane that just sat and sat so the rainfall amounts were unusually high when compared to Floyd. I wouldn't rush out and buy flood insurance just in case!
    Last edited by Jeff; 10-10-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    4.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Ouch, sorry to hear! Hopefully your tooling and machinery is safe, both in your shop and the others on the property... Also glad to hear your house wasn't affected much. I didn't flood, but will be adding flood insurance myself. Have some friends who got screwed on that (which, I think, is BS).

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I didn't flood, but will be adding flood insurance myself. Have some friends who got screwed on that (which, I think, is BS).
    You need flood insurance if you're in a flood zone, but other than that you roll the dice and take a chance. You can invest a lot of $$$ in flood insurance premiums and never need it in your lifetime. It's your call though.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    4.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    You need flood insurance if you're in a flood zone, but other than that you roll the dice and take a chance. You can invest a lot of $$$ in flood insurance premiums and never need it in your lifetime. It's your call though.
    Not currently in a flood zone, supposedly will be once the new maps take effect. That said, two friends in Havelock that aren't either, they flooded in Florence. Supposedly, their insurance isn't covering damage or loss due to the flood and they are working with FEMA. That said, this isn't exactly first hand, just what I was told, so I have to choose to believe, or not. My street flooded, but it didn't make it into my home, and would've taken A LOT more water to get into the home.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    5.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

We are renting while the building is in progress. With Florence the rental crawl space was flooded to the extent that the A/C air handler was taken out. Took the plumbers 1 1/2 days to pump it out, with the neighbor threatening to call the police, because they were wetting a part of his driveway. Long story short, I found out that the same happened with Mathew and I looked at the grading here at the rental, which directs water directly to the crawl space entrance, with no catching wall. Discussed a solution with the rental agent who had no interest whatsoever, until I threatened to call the owner. The rental agent sent out someone to look at a solution, which is a small diverting wall, no brainer. But that is where it died, never heard anything back.

So patiently waiting, hoping the same does not happen with Michael, but if it does I will contact the owner directly to make sure she knows this will happen again and again, while there is a simple solution.

Never trust a rental agency with your property is the lesson I learnt here.

11. The following user says Thank You to Willemjm for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Steve (52)
    Visit Freq
    5.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Stay safe everybody with Michael its going to be wet again.
    - Not living life till you're part of the Food Chain