DQ
    Nickname
    Dennis
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Finding Maximum Torque for a Bolt

Thanks. I just ordered a quick repair setup from RockAuto made by Dorman that utilizes existing unused bolt holes to clamp the header to the head without having to remove the broken studs. Price was half of what O'Reilly was.
    The other option (and probably later on) is to weld a nut onto the broken bolt and remove it, risky at best with electronics possibly getting fried. I had already improvise one such clamp when I bought the van 4 years ago, but now the bolt nearest the temp sensor is snapped and I'm getting false engine data to the computer because of the excessive heat on the sensor. Nonetheless, I also ordered new zinc chromate header bolts for when I can get the broken ones out. That and anti seize compound should last me a few more years......
    WHAT BOX?

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

galvanized steel has the same galvanic couple rating as an aluminum fastener (A) in an aluminum block. An A rating means there should not be any accelerated corrosion of the block.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dennis
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I wonder if helicoils would help the situation? Also, would it help side post batteries to use a brass insert? I'm always stripping those things. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but it seems to be drifting that way....
    Last edited by Gotcha6; 10-10-2018 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added info
    WHAT BOX?

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    5.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Interesting how this thread started and continued.

When I was young and pretty, Mercedes Benz put me through Engineering college and I ended up doing product testing, local country parts QC, vehicle testing and training as well as certifying the technicians who work on cars and trucks.

That was way back in the 80's so things might have changed, but for connection rod to crankshaft bearing caps, we used a bolt with torque developed to move the threads into the yield zone. Meaning the threads were actually permanently stretched or deformed. The idea was that it locks the bolts with more than only friction and they may only be used once and discarded in the case of a rebuild.

For anything else, bolt size (diameter) was designed to give adequate clamping force at a tensile stress of around 80%. There are many variables here, so torque was specified as clean thread surfaces with no lubricant traces. But there were still variables. The 80% was deemed adequate to provide enough friction preventing fasteners to work loose due to vibration, or temperature cycles.

Today I no longer service my cars, but do my motorcycles and personally I only use a torque wrench in a few critical areas, the rest is done by feel and experience. I believe in many applications, the torque suggestions from the manufacturers were a guess, without proper design and aimed more at not stripping threads or damaging a fastener.
    Last edited by Willemjm; 10-10-2018 at 08:20 PM.

5. The following user says Thank You to Willemjm for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I think whenever you can replace the female threads in a metal like aluminum or lead that creep under load it is a good thing. Helicoils still have threads in the aluminum but they are on a larger diameter so the stress is less and you are not removing and replacing (hopefully).

I don't think I've had a side post battery but if it has female threads in the lead, that would be a significant risk. Lead isn't really good structural material. Wood might be better (but not nearly as good a conductor).