Barry
    Visit Freq
    5.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I Cannot Edit My Posts in Thread I Started

Type of Help Needed: Problem
    Where: Main Site

I need to update the list of volunteers in this thread, https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...ad.php?t=64324 but Edit Post is not present in any of my posts in this thread. Other current threads I started or have otherwise posted a comment have Edit Post at the bottom of my comments. Thanks.
    "Nihil est melius quam vita diligentissima" (Nothing is better than a most diligent life.)
    -James Murray

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Scott
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: I Cannot Edit My Posts in Thread I Started

I don't see anything wrong in my view. Sorry.
    Maker of fine saw dust
    Scott

"Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
    - Lou Holtz-

3. The following user says Thank You to ScottM for this useful post:

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ethan (47)
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: I Cannot Edit My Posts in Thread I Started

Their is a time limit as to how old a post may be edited by a normal user of 259,200 hours after the creation of a post/thread, which may seem an odd value but at 1440 minutes (24hrs/day x 60 min/hr) in a day that comes out to exactly 180-days, or about 6 months. But after that time has runout ordinary users can no longer go back to edit a post or thread title, though those with admin or moderator permissions can still edit.

Basically, this site was never really setup to cater to long running threads since ancient threads tend to drift well beyond their original topic (hence why threads close after an extended inactivity period). Rather, the site was designed to encourage new threads or posts which also serves to keep thread sizes more manageable. In nearly all cases that has served this site very well over the years but every once in awhile it can get in the way.

If there is an edit that needs to be made it is still possible to ask an admin or Board member to post that edit on your behalf if you will simply provide us with the desired text to be copied into the post and let us know where you would like that text to be inserted at within your post. Alternatively, the updated notice can simply be appended to the thread in the form of a new post since the bread is still open. The choice is yours but we would be more than happy to post the edit for you if you would prefer.

5. The following 2 users say Thank You to ehpoole :