Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Locations) Ad #1

Special Events in the next 30 days

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    User
    Nickname
    Harpone
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Elgin, SC
    Posts
    66
    Visit Freq
    0.77 visits/week
    Threads
    22
    Classifieds
    0

    Dowels for Pull Toys

    I am just starting to make some pull toys for great grandchildren and need some 1/4" dowels. What I have seen locally in big box and craft stores looks questionable for toy axles. Online various species (pine, birch. oak, etc) are being sold in that size. What woods would be good choices?

  2. The following 2 users say Thank You to harpone :


  3. #2
    Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Mike Davis's Avatar
    Nickname
    Mike
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Walnut Cove, NC
    Posts
    12,470
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    734
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Dowels for Pull Toys

    I bought oak dowels from Big Blue box store and they were much better quality than the softwood dowels.

    Attached Images Attached Images



    One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

    WWFD

  4. The following 2 users say Thank You to Mike Davis :


  5. #3
    Forum Leader Senior User
    Nickname
    Dave
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    956
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    72
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Dowels for Pull Toys

    I would make my own from the same species used for the rest of the parts.
    SketchUp Authorized Training Center

  6. The following user says Thank You to Dave Richards for this useful post:


  7. #4
    Senior User
    Nickname
    tom
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    196
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    30
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Dowels for Pull Toys

    I always drill an appropriate size hole in a piece of plywood and take it to whatever big box or hardware store I go to and make sure the dowel is a tight fit in the hole. It's amazing how many 1/4 inch dowels (or whatever size) are not really 1/4 inch.

  8. The following 2 users say Thank You to Tom from Clayton :


  9. #5
    User
    Nickname
    Harpone
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Elgin, SC
    Posts
    66
    Visit Freq
    0.77 visits/week
    Threads
    22
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Dowels for Pull Toys

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I would make my own from the same species used for the rest of the parts.
    How do you make your own dowels??

  10. The following user says Thank You to harpone for this useful post:


  11. #6
    User
    Nickname
    Harpone
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Elgin, SC
    Posts
    66
    Visit Freq
    0.77 visits/week
    Threads
    22
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Dowels for Pull Toys

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom from Clayton View Post
    I always drill an appropriate size hole in a piece of plywood and take it to whatever big box or hardware store I go to and make sure the dowel is a tight fit in the hole. It's amazing how many 1/4 inch dowels (or whatever size) are not really 1/4 inch.
    Great suggestion.

  12. The following user says Thank You to harpone for this useful post:


  13. #7
    Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    ScottM's Avatar
    Nickname
    Scott
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Littleton, NC
    Posts
    10,877
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    943
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Dowels for Pull Toys

    Caseyswood.com
    Maker of fine saw dust
    Scott

    "Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
    - Lou Holtz-

  14. The following 2 users say Thank You to ScottM :


  15. #8
    Forum Leader Senior User
    Nickname
    Dave
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    956
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    72
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Dowels for Pull Toys

    Quote Originally Posted by harpone View Post
    How do you make your own dowels??
    I use the router and a cordless drill. I did a thing a long time ago on the process. You can see here: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...=dowels+router

    Since the dowels are turned to diameter instead of being compressed when they are mashed through a die, they tend to remain rounder over time.
    SketchUp Authorized Training Center

  16. The following 2 users say Thank You to Dave Richards :


  17. #9
    User
    Nickname
    Harpone
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Elgin, SC
    Posts
    66
    Visit Freq
    0.77 visits/week
    Threads
    22
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Dowels for Pull Toys

    What router bit do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I use the router and a cordless drill. I did a thing a long time ago on the process. You can see here: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...=dowels+router

    Since the dowels are turned to diameter instead of being compressed when they are mashed through a die, they tend to remain rounder over time.

  18. The following user says Thank You to harpone for this useful post:


  19. #10
    Forum Leader Senior User
    Nickname
    Dave
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    956
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    72
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Dowels for Pull Toys

    I use an upcut spiral bit to pull the chips up out of the hole although I've also use a plain straight cutter, too. The plain straight cutter works better if you make a channel for waste clearance below the bit on the side where the dowel stock enters. I just make these "jigs" when and as I need them from some piece of scrap laying around and usually don't bother to to get too elaborate with it.
    SketchUp Authorized Training Center

  20. The following 2 users say Thank You to Dave Richards :


  21. #11
    User
    Nickname
    Harpone
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Elgin, SC
    Posts
    66
    Visit Freq
    0.77 visits/week
    Threads
    22
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Dowels for Pull Toys

    Thanks. I think you have given me enough info to get me started on making some dowels.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I use an upcut spiral bit to pull the chips up out of the hole although I've also use a plain straight cutter, too. The plain straight cutter works better if you make a channel for waste clearance below the bit on the side where the dowel stock enters. I just make these "jigs" when and as I need them from some piece of scrap laying around and usually don't bother to to get too elaborate with it.

Similar Threads

  1. learning to use my pull saw
    By Mark Stewart in forum Hand Tools and their Use
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2015, 02:12 PM
  2. well now I have a pull saw.
    By Mark Stewart in forum Hand Tools and their Use
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2015, 12:40 PM
  3. Pull Toy
    By Ptofimpact in forum General Woodworking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 06:28 AM
  4. More toys for Toys for Tots
    By bobby g in forum General Woodworking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •