DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    5.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Building a well house

The next small project is building a small 6' x 6' house/shed for my water well.

It sits close to the street, so want to make it look nice.

Can't make up my mind.

1. Simple neat looking square shed with a 12/12 pitch roof one window and a make-shift door, can't see it taking more than a day.

2.) A little building to match the house, with a proper exterior door, double glass window, siding, facia, roof to match. Insulation and OCB on inside walls with an OCB ceiling. Will look real nice, but perhaps I am crazy?

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    John
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Building a well house

Crazy makes me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willemjm View Post
    The next small project is building a small 6' x 6' house/shed for my water well.

Can't make up my mind.

1. Simple neat looking square shed with a 12/12 pitch roof one window and a make-shift door, can't see it taking more than a day.

2.) A little building to match the house, with a proper exterior door, double glass window, siding, facia, roof to match. Insulation and OCB on inside walls with an OCB ceiling. Will look real nice, but perhaps I am crazy?

Board of Directors
    Treasurer
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I always thought about building one that looks like an old-fashioned water well. You know, round sides about 3' tall with the bucket on a rope and wind-up pulley under a small roof supported by a pole on each side. You'd have to provide access somehow, but that would look cool and be a decorative piece as well, instead of just an outbuilding.
    I don't believe in Astrology. I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.

"May the grain be with you" - Roy Underhill

User
    Nickname
    Bruce
    Visit Freq
    6.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

First, why so large? Generally when we need a well house close to the street, we either do a fake rock, or faux well. You have seen them, a small box, sided to match house, with elevated cover like on old wells in the country. Currently on our property are two well houses. Both are about four foot square, sided with T-111 plywood, with 3/12 sloped roof, shingled to match siding. They are both located in the woods. Walls are insulated with both fiberglass and sheet foam. Top is done the same way. Be sure and build so they can be removed to service the pump.well
    Last edited by junquecol; 08-31-2018 at 09:01 AM.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Daniel
    Visit Freq
    6.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Can't make up my mind.

#2 for bragging rights, and to become a directional marker for the locals: "Go down the road yonder till ya pass the house with the little matching house in the front yard, you know, good ole Willie's house, them good folks there, be sure to slow down and check out the little house, well, afta you pass that, it's the next yonder right turn you need to make. If you go pass the house with the junky little shed in front, you gone too far"

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    5.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by tri4sale View Post
    #2 for bragging rights, and to become a directional marker for the locals: "Go down the road yonder till ya pass the house with the little matching house in the front yard, you know, good ole Willie's house, them good folks there, be sure to slow down and check out the little house, well, afta you pass that, it's the next yonder right turn you need to make. If you go pass the house with the junky little shed in front, you gone too far"
    LOL, you gave me the inspiration I needed. So that is what we will do.

7. The following user says Thank You to Willemjm for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Daniel
    Visit Freq
    6.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

We will require you to post pictures!!

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Steve (52)
    Visit Freq
    5.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

And you will need to have a matching you and your dogs, to scale if course.
    - Not living life till you're part of the Food Chain

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Roy
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Willem, Bruce made an important point in saying you needed to consider servicing your pump. Depending on your service, you may need access for the well puller to be right next to the well head. We had to tilt my well house over when I had my pump pulled. Some of the services had a sort of crane to reach over the well head, so you would need access overhead-maybe have a roof panel removable.

Roy G

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    5.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G View Post
    Willem, Bruce made an important point in saying you needed to consider servicing your pump. Depending on your service, you may need access for the well puller to be right next to the well head. We had to tilt my well house over when I had my pump pulled. Some of the services had a sort of crane to reach over the well head, so you would need access overhead-maybe have a roof panel removable.

Roy G
    Thanks for the heads up, appreciated. I have provision for that. I worked with the contractor who drilled my well; knew nothing about the subject and learned as well as researched as the job progressed. I wish I knew what I know now before picking a contractor. I would have asked the right questions and my contractor never would have gotten the job.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks for the heads up, appreciated. I have provision for that. I worked with the contractor who drilled my well; knew nothing about the subject and learned as well as researched as the job progressed. I wish I knew what I know now before picking a contractor. I would have asked the right questions and my contractor never would have gotten the job.
    Thanks Willem. Can you elaborate with a few words of caution when selecting a well-drilling contractor? Why wouldn't your contractor have gotten the job?

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    5.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Thanks Willem. Can you elaborate with a few words of caution when selecting a well-drilling contractor? Why wouldn't your contractor have gotten the job?
    Well house pic so far, wifey helping, think she would rather be shopping.

Jeff, I started typing my experience with the well contractor and the questions I should have asked, only to realize it will be a few pages long and probably not appropriate for this thread. Anyone who wishes to walk this path, welcome to contact me. My guy had 14 years experience doing this, yet winged it all the way, had no idea how to size a pump the right way, how to properly test the well capacity and made no reference to a log for a similar well 1/4 mile away from mine, similar topography. My neighbor is very pleased with his work, not realizing that his stated and logged well capacity at 20 gal/minute was totally fabricated, as the test pump they used was hardly capable of reaching 10 gal/min. In my case I had to interfere and manage to get this done correctly ( I actually did the capacity testing myself and dealt directly with the pump vendor) , the workmanship was bad, the site cleaning was left to me, I ended up doing the grouting myself, the timing was out by about 8 weeks, I will have to redo the plumbing. The pump was burnt out due to incorrect use, the vendor replaced under warranty, but does not know the true story.

This is a contractor with good references, but I believe most people just trust the contractor and believes what he tells them. Maybe in my next life I do not want to be an Engineer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks Willem, fair enough. So it pays to do some homework and self-education as well as keeping a close-eye on the contractor.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    5.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Pump house progress. I am a cyclist, and have to admit putting this up mostly alone in the NC heat and humidity was harder than a 100 mile bike race.

Attached Images Attached Images

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    John
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

got room for your bike inside?